Pedistal Sump Pump constantly runs

Users who are viewing this thread

loughrins

Reaction score
Hello!
I am looking for advice of what needs to be done to fix a problem that started about a week ago (I think). Our pedistal sump pump in the basement runs continually. We live in Wisconsin and it is winter. The pump runs continually, the holding tank is full of water, but none of the water seems to be pumped out. The float can be pushed down so that it turns off, but then pops right back up and continues running again. What could the problem be?

Could this be a fire hazard if the pump continues to run? Will the pump burn out and stop working? I believe that the water is pumped right out into the septic (?) as we do not have tubing outside to eject the water away from the house.

Please help. I get nervous every time we leave the house!
Thank you!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It sounds to me that the motor is running but the pump is not pumping. It could be that the inlet on the pump is blocked or the pump has failed. You should not leave it running if it is not pumping and eventually the motor will fail. The assembly needs to be pulled out of the sump and diagnosed. It may need to be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks