Pedestal sink drain repair

Users who are viewing this thread

stnaxe

Reaction score
Just replaced an old leaking faucet on a pedestal sink and dislodged the drain body which is now leaking at the joint from the sink drain to the pipe. This is impossible for me to get access to and I can not hand tighten the nut. Is it possible to remove the pedestal base without removing the sink. it looks like I only need to remove one bolt on the floor but the lip of the sink is overhanging the base. Also is there an easier way to do this?
-Stan

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually the pedestal is the only thing holding the sink up. Sometimes there are screws thru the back of the
sink into the wall, but they are not sufficient to hold up the sink by themselves. The drain plumbing for
pedestal sinks is installed after the sink is in place. It is admittedly a giant PIA, and there are special
tools plumbers can use to tighten those "inaccessible" slip-joint nuts.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just FYI, most of the tools sold in the big box stores specifically for pedestal sinks never really
worked worth a damn for me. What I found most useful was my Knipex #8103230 "pipe gripping pliers".
Recommended tool, if ya can find one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks