P-Trap Lower than Drain Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rayleeis, Jan 16, 2006.

1. rayleeis

rayleeis New Member

SINK CLOGGED! P-trap too low for waste stub.

Hello,

Please take a look at the picture I've attached.

My Sink does not drain.

My P-Trap is lower than the waste line and I cannot connect to the stub out.

I've put two 90 degree angle pipes to connect it to the stub. Is this a S-trap, or not. Will this work?

Will the water "climb" up these double 90 angles pipes???

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

It will drain. You have created a deep p-trap, but not an s-trap. It will be sluggish. Why can't you just shorten the tailpiece dropping down from the sink, so the trap will connect normally?
  3. rayleeis

rayleeis New Member

Because of the drain for the sink...the drain for the sink itself is like 5 inches deep...and it is threaded...so i had to buy a female threated adaptor, then attached a special pipe with a dishwasher outlet...and that is threaded as well...so i had to buy two female threated apatops and put a piece of PVC in between because i could not find a threaded coupler. Then after that piece...I put in my P trap..and by that time..I was below the waste line stub out.

But you're telling me it should work..the water will run upwards like that?
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

OK, I understand you need the wye, not shown. You can accomplish that with a single fitting: it will be called a 1½" wye tailpiece. It has a flanged upper end which will connect directly to the bottom of the sink, and the lower end drops right into the trap. Overall length of this piece is probably about 8". If that sounds like it will work, go to a good plumbing supply house and spring about $ 8 for it.