Overload trips about once a week.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rocklin662, Dec 30, 2012.

1. rocklin662

rocklin662 New Member

In the past three weeks the overload on the bottom left of the motor control has tripped while someone was taking a shower. It is a 2hp submersible pump on 2" ? pipe in a 6" well casing. About 2 feet of the casing are sticking out of the ground and the pump control box is mounted on top of the casing. The well was drilled in 1979 and from the documents the depth was 210', the static water level was 115' and the 4 hour flow was 30 gpm. The control box is a Franklin Electric 2823018110. I downloaded the manual from Franklin Electric and will run through the tests on Tuesday. The control box is mounted in direct sun and the manual cautions against that. It does get fairly hot here on the edge of Sacramento.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Tripping an overload while taking a shower usually means the motor is tripping out from cycling on and off. It could just be a weak start cap or relay, but I am guessing you should be prepared to replace the pump/motor.
  3. rocklin662

rocklin662 New Member

Did a bit of testing today. Using Min/Max on Fluke 87 meter reading as follows. Line voltage dropped from 241.4 VAC to 234 VAC when the pump turned on. I would have expected the current on the red (start) conductor to go higher. Both capacitors appear to be open. The run capacitor is in a rusty metal case but the start capacitor appears to be newer. Coil tests ok.
    Measured:
    Color Start Run
    Red 4.0A 3.3A
    Yellow 44.8A 12.8A
    Black 44.0A 11.8A

From Table:
    Color Full Load Maximum Load
    Red 2.6A 2.6A
    Yellow 10A 13.2A
    Black 9.3A 11.9A
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  4. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

I would replace the caps or at least check them.

Your readings are a little confusing, or maybe they are wrong.
  5. rocklin662

rocklin662 New Member

Got both capacitors for $26. Been good for a month. Thanks for the help.