Outdoor Spigot parts

Users who are viewing this thread

ironshaikh

Reaction score
I have a really old spigot that's leaking (right behind the handle) and would like internal parts, but I have no idea who the manufacturer of the spigot is. I'm assuming the homeowner before me has repaired this spigot before and installed universal parts since there's no manufacturer on the handle or the vacuum breaker cap. And I can't just rip out the entire out spigot as it would require some intense drywall/2x4 cutting. The leak is on the outside behind the handle, not the inside so no ruptured copper so the body of the faucet is still good.

So my question is if I take out the old stem, measure it, can I get a new spigot that's exactly the same size and transfer all the internals including the vacuum breaker and stem into my old one irrespective of who the manufacturer is? Would it matter what type of spigot I use? Can I easily install one of those new quarter turn ones as well and just yank the internals out?

Last edited:

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the spigot? The stem and other internal components are not transferable between all manufacturers. But, there is a good chance replacement parts are available if we can figure out who made it.

¼-turn ceramic disc stems/cartridges do not interchange with older compression washer stems.

ironshaikh

Reaction score
The outter handle is a Danco and the top vacuum breaker is chrome with nothign written on it.

I'll try to get a picture up, but there's nothing that clearly distinguishes it from other spigots.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect it is the vacuum breaker. I would unscrew that cap or lift it off if it does not unscrew. Then unscrew the part under the cap, and pull the parts.

You might get that working with cleaning. Otherwise I would compare the parts to the repair kits at the where you buy plumbing supplies.

I repaired one with such a repair kit.

ironshaikh

Reaction score
I suspect it is the vacuum breaker. I would unscrew that cap or lift it off if it does not unscrew. Then unscrew the part under the cap, and pull the parts.

You might get that working with cleaning. Otherwise I would compare the parts to the repair kits at the where you buy plumbing supplies.

I repaired one with such a repair kit.

Yeah, I have a feeling it's the vacuum breaker. My question would essentially be can I buy a new spigot (whatever the brand) and strip the internals or buy replacement universal parts would it fit or do I have to find out who that specific manufacturer is and hunt them down? Quarterball says that doesn't seem the case.

I have a feeling I won't be able to find that particular manufacturer parts at my local big box store and have to unfortunately order the parts through the manufacturer.

It looks like it's a manningham spigot, but have no idea if it's a 300/400/500 etc. etc. or possibly none of those series since it's so old.

ironshaikh

Reaction score
Yep that's the one, mansfield.

Looks like I have the 500 series (made from the 70s to 2006) and they don't make them anymore. I'm going to contact Prier to see if I can just buy a new 400 series, strip the guts and do a complete overhaul and put it in my 500 and see if it'll work.

The stem itself is $20 and I'd rather just buy a whole new spigot for $30 at Menards since it's cheaper than to buy the individual vacuum breaker, stem, knob, etc. and then having to go through the hassle of buying the parts from Prier than just a trip to menards.

If not, I'll just buy the overhaul kit. Any idea how to fix that annoying squeal when turning on the spigot?

Last edited:

ironshaikh

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm wrong. stem parts aren't interchangeable, Guess I'll just buy the new parts. But how do I fix that internal squeal?

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score
The squeal is probably coming from the brass on brass contact between the acme threads of the stem and the mating internal section of the sillcock. Try putting some silicone grease on the stem threads prior to installing it. That should work until the water washes all the grease away.

The squealing you describe is one of the unfortunate features of multi-turn frostproof sillcocks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks