Outdoor faucet shutoff valve location please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cartoondude135

Reaction score
I live at Eastpark located at 5085 Main Street. My unit is on the ground floor and it has a garden faucet so I can water plants. But so far, I can't find an interior shut off valve in my unit for the patio garden hose faucet to safe it for winter.

So far, I have had no leeks or floods anywhere in my unit and this building is almost 6 years old. My mother leaves the garden hose attached as this type of hose is special in it's design: it contracts every time water is not running through it from the faucet, thereby, squeezing out all the water by itself. Then, she leaves the hose in a small plastic trash can and covers the entire thing with a towel.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no interior shutoff on a frost free hose bib. In Canada, I would expect either a 6" or a 8" long faucet, keeping the seal where the wall is warm. The long tube to the outside is meant to drain when not in use. If a hose is attached during Winter, you always have the risk that it won't be drained and the copper can split.

hosebib_split.jpg

This was the 4" version for a 2x6 wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks