Old toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

GE22

Reaction score
My old american standard toilet tank from 1998 has a crack, It has a number 6885 on tank and lid but that is not in the current american standard list now.
Where can I find a replacement tank, it looks kind of close to the model 4074 tank. Any other suggestions? We like the current toilet and it fits our room well so we want minimal change. Thank you

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
used to be places around that had used tanks, back when service companies had walk in stores and would sell parts retail. some kind of junk shop or thrift store just match it up with whatever fits Ive got a kohler from 03 that i put in my house just because i liked it and it was free. As big as AS is Ill bet not 1 in 20 more like 1 in 50 toilets I ve installed is AS and I dont run into them that much when I do they are usually newer or older like less than 5 years old or more than 40 .
Just hit those junk places or yard sales find one that fits

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
AS are decent I just dont have a lot of people asking for them back in the day I used mansfield , briggs , Toto, western pottery, or kohler , So that exact tank from 98 unless it went unchanged for decades I wont see a tank thats exctly like it

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
My old american standard toilet tank from 1998 has a crack, It has a number 6885 on tank and lid but that is not in the current american standard list now.
Where can I find a replacement tank, it looks kind of close to the model 4074 tank. Any other suggestions? We like the current toilet and it fits our room well so we want minimal change. Thank you

just replace the f*cking toilet man. Something like an American Standard Cadet Pro, comfort height seat, elongated bowl. You'll love it. ($350-ish).

call a couple supply houses. Just look up plumbing supply on google. call them. see if they carry American Standard. If so, take them your tank and lid and they can match it up for you. You may save $150 if you only replace the tank.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just replace the f*cking toilet man. Something like an American Standard Cadet Pro, comfort height seat, elongated bowl. You'll love it. ($350-ish).

call a couple supply houses. Just look up plumbing supply on google. call them. see if they carry American Standard. If so, take them your tank and lid and they can match it up for you. You may save $150 if you only replace the tank.
trying to do it on the cheap.

Peterson

Reaction score
With the time and money you would spend on getting a replacement tank, I would honestly be tempted to get a Project Source $99 toilet from Lowes instead. Comfort Height, and they flush great. Also, they look like a normal toilet would look like - rectangular tank, standard fittings, etc. Not some weird curved tank, etc.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can see someone likes to keep a 70 year old bathroom original but 30 years not really but to each thier own suggestions are here take your pick they are all valid options

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
With the time and money you would spend on getting a replacement tank, I would honestly be tempted to get a Project Source $99 toilet from Lowes instead. Comfort Height, and they flush great. Also, they look like a normal toilet would look like - rectangular tank, standard fittings, etc. Not some weird curved tank, etc.

That would work. But I've never been a fan of cheap-o toilets. Personally, my go-to toilet is the American Standard Cadet Pro. I know a lot of plumbers prefer the drake. As long as the toilet is elongated, comfort height, and has a 3" trapway; those are the features I'm looking for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks