Old floor furnaces with grates

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Mad Plumber, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Mad Plumber

Mad Plumber Mad Skills

I came across your forum when looking for information on old floor furnaces with grates. We are about to demolish an old house with one of those furnances which looks to be in good shape. We've heard people put them in cabins, and wonder what (if any) value they might have and how much they could be sold for. Any ideas? We don't want to destroy it if it's usable. Thanks!
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It's probably worth what you can get for it. Depends on type of fuel, condition, effeciency, size, and demand in your area. I doubt if it would bring much, but won't hurt to try.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

In most places, new installations of floor grate furnaces are not allowed. IF I was in the market, I would be skeptical of a used unit because if the heat exchanger is cracked, it's done for.