Odor in my well water

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rarjr, Dec 30, 2013.

1. rarjr

rarjr New Member

Hello everyone,

Yesterday my wife was doing a load of laundry and was overwhelmed by a strong chemical odor. She brought me a wet piece of clothing to smell and I compare it to the smell of fiber glass resin or turpentine. I then ran various faucets in the house and the smell is in fact coming from the water. We had someone out today to take a sample but said it will be a few days before he hears back from the lab.

While we wait for the results we are using only bottled water and taking showers at the gym.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Thanks,
    Rick
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

That is an unusual problem. If it is a very old pump the motor could be filled with mineral oil. Or some really old ones had capacitors in the motor that could leak out, but either of these things should keep the pump from running.

I would be curious what the lab says, then start looking for the source.
  3. rarjr

rarjr New Member

Thank you for your input Valveman.

The first person who we had come out and take the first sample was our regular jack of all trades "handyman". He didn't see any issues with the hardware. Tomorrow we are having an expert come out who specializes in wells take a second sample. I will pass along your comments to him.

The reason we are having a second sample sent in. Is because the county lab we sent the first sample too only tests for bacteria and nitrates. I know someone who is an expert in environmental catastrophes who I consulted because he has experience with every issue under the sun. He recommended taking another sample because to him it sounds like either Benzene or MTBE contamination. On one side of my house is a vacant gas station and on the other side is a retired farmer who uses the pole barns on his property a rental storage for boats,rv's, and industrial farm equipment.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

There is not much to go on. No mention of the well, be it shallow or deep. No mention of where in the US, be it in an area where shale gas frac'ing is taking place.

It could be a chemical spill contaminating ground water.
  5. rarjr

rarjr New Member

Thank you for replying LLigetfa.

I'm not sure on the type of well, I will ask him tomorrow when he comes out. I live in Wisconsin, my friend who thought of Benzene or MTBE also brought up frac'ing. Wisconsin does have frac'ing locations, but we couldn't find anything about it being in my area.
  6. Smooky

Smooky Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  7. rarjr

rarjr New Member

Wow thanks Smooky!

I'm really hoping once we get the results back it is this.