Odor coming through Sewer Vent

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by tfoltz, Oct 2, 2004.

1. tfoltz

tfoltz Banned

Under 2 of my bathroom sinks, I have sewer odors coming out of the Sewer Vents. On the vent it says "Do Not Remove". Is this something that I can easily fix myself by purchasing the parts from Home Depot, or should I get a plumber to do the job?

My house is 3 years old and no longer under warranty.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you have what I think you have (I don't remember their name), it is used instead of a "proper" real vent through the roof. It is basically a one-way valve that is only supposed to let air in when there is a vacuum caused by water going down the drain, then close up. If it doesn't close up, it basically leaves a direct opening to the sewer. I don't think they are repairable, just replaceable.

I'm surprised that the inspector allowed their use in new construction.

It could be something else...
  3. Sweetfilter

Sweetfilter New Member

Sewer Vent Odor

Sweetfilters are carbon filled canisters that remove sewer odor from any vent stack. They easily slide onto any size pipe. For more look up sweetfilter on any search engine.
  4. AAV or Studor

i think Jim is referring to Air Admittance Valves (AAV) or Studor valves. Under your sinks.

I find it hard to believe that two AAVs are both letting sewer gases out after three years. After you see what they look like, on the web, tell us if that is what you have.

There may be other reasons for the odors.

david
  5. handycat

handycat New Member

sewer vent odor - AAV

We're having the same ordor emitting from a sewer vent located under our kitchen sink. Geniescience, thanks for the tip on the AAV vent - yes that is what we have. Our house is 9 years old. Could this be broken already?

Do you think this is something that we could replace, or is a plumber needed?
    Thx
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If they left you enough pipe, then it is fairly easy...cut off the thing, glue a new one one. If there isn't enough pipe left if you cut it off, then you'll need to cut off more, and replace that section to install a new one. Once you get it off, you can cut it in half to see what it is actually doing inside.
  7. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Some of these unscrew.
  8. Cass

Cass Plumber

You may have what we call here a trailer vent. They are normally black or chrome color. It is similar to an AAV but notorious for failing. Go to a big box store Low*s and you can get an AAV which goes by the brand name Studor Vent. All the ones I have seen unthread.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

aav

They are "throwaway" items so they always unscrew.