notched joist

Users who are viewing this thread

dk1

Reaction score
Hi all,

This isn't strictly a plumbing question but I don't know of any good construction forums.
I had an overzealous electrition cut a 1.5 inch wide by 2 inch deep notch in the top of my 2x6 floor joist. I know that the top of a joist is in compression and the bottom is in tension. I've been searching for a fix and was planning on using a 1/4" thick piece of flatstock steel, bolted and epoxied to the side of the joist but ran across a link http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Wedge

seems interesting, using wedges to make up for the compression strength that was lost.

Any thoughts on this type of fix? seems quite elegant.

thanks

d

dk1

Reaction score
very true. This is a 100 yr old home. The spans are 11' and joist are 14"-16" on center depending on the whim of the original carpenter. But concerning the fix for the notch how does that sound? In theory I get it, just wondering if it holds up in practice

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The wedge people don't understand wood. It's filling the hole, but you're not regaining any strength. Every board and timber is different on account of the run of the grain and the presence of knots, etc. Slap a quarter inch plywood gusset on either side, well slathered with liquid nails, and shoot a couple of dozen short finish nails on either side and call it a day. The longer the gusset, the greater the strength. Finish nails because they won't weaken the beam like #4's. Love old houses. My last one was an 1897 storey and a half on 3 acres out in the country. They scrimped on everything.

dk1

Reaction score
got it, I happen to have some 1/4" flat stock steel lying about, but no plywood. If I slathered that with liquid nails would that be good as well? I suppose it would have to be bolted, which might weaken the beam even more?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want to do this right, it might be best to talk to a structural/mechanical engineer. Sometimes they'll give an opinion for not a whole lot of money...it gets lots more expensive if you want or need them to sign off on a design, IOW, an educated opinion verses a 'certified' result. I needed some advice on one project, and the guy only charged me about $100 to look it over, run some calculations, and then give me his opinion.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Contact your local building dept, they have clear rules on notching. If your plumber exceeded the max allowed, then you'll have to repair it.

Experienced framers usually know how, to meet code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks