Normal foot valve operation - allow backflow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
I have been trying to give you advice on how most people would drive an 1-1/4" well point. Obviously this won't work in your area. Since you aren't sure how it was done previously and I don't know your area, I am not going to be of any help.

I guess you need to get the original guy that did it the first time and repeat the process. He probably knows what has to be done, so he did it that way. If it actually worked good for nine years, it doesn't owe you anything.

bob...

garliceggs

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's special about my area (east central MN). The guy who did this last time was my dad and he unfortunately isn't around any longer. I'm pretty sure he knew about as much as I do - that is, he was no expert.

I don't agree that you won't be of any help - I appreciate your comments and advice. My two neighbors to the south put in their points in the manner you described. Just drove them down from the surface. However, they don't have any of the rock that I do.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Since they don't have rock and you do, you might try moving to another part of the yard. Sometimes that's all it takes to get away from the rocks.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
if you dig a large enough hole into the aquifer, you can do a sand-gravel pack around the screen that is in effect an extension of the screen into a much large surface area, i.e. a sand filter around your pick-up point. One would start with sand and then fill in layers of graded rock increasing in size. Of course the execution of this rock placement would require special skills and craft. A truck load of pea gravel around your pipe-screen, which it sounds like you have, is a good start on that concept, which is clearly defined in stream-bed water pick up schemes.

For a hunting shak I would rap a new pipe down into your old dug area where the rocks have already been removed.

As to surface water, we assume you placed several feet of dirt and clay over your gravel pack so not to drink the rain water-dog- doo tea.

And by the way if its the hunting shak wife hideaway, what in the world would you need water for? Beer, wine, whisky will suffice for all tasks except some washing and the rain water barrel can flush the toilet.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have occasion to get the backhoe in again, I suggest that you try a process that produces what is called a "dug well". The backhoe digs down into the water-bearing gravel layer and large pipes sections, 2 to 3 ft diameter, are stacked from an unmortared foundation or just on the gravel if it is firm. It should be well into the water-bearing layer.

The pipe sections are stacked to extend a foot or so above the surrounding earth. They are backfilled with the gravel until you reach the top of the water-bearing layer, and then with earth to prevent infiltration of surface water.

I have seen both vitrified tile and concrete used for the well lining. The joints in the aquifer should not be mortared.

Now you have a well with a lot of area for the water to infiltrate at the bottom. You can drop in a pipe with a foot valve, or even a submersible pump if you want. If sand gets into the bottom of the well it is easy to bail it out.

The large area of the well causes any sand to settle in the bottom so it is usually not a problem. If the water-bearing layer is fine sand you may have to obtain gravel to backfill under and around the large pipes.

garliceggs

Reaction score
Last weekend we tried pumping compressed air into the pipe and were actually able to clear the screen.

We could then run the pump, obtain water, build up enough pressure to get my pump to kick off (50psi).

All that being said, I don't think my problems are resolved. The water is still quite dirty and there isn't a lot of it. I don't know if water levels are down due to drought or the well is just caving in or what. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but it won't happen until spring or summer.

The ground there is dirt, clay, sand, and rock. The material used to backfill the hole was basically what was pulled out, so in addition to the pea gravel, the stuff around the point is sand, then clay/rocks, then the topsoil. Then there's a concrete slab and a pump house on top of everything.

It started out as a hunting shack and we had no water, but at some point my dad added an addition. A bathroom with a shower, sink, toilet, and the well of course. So, do I need it? No, we were up there the last couple of weeks hunting without the use of running water. However, it is nice to have and if I can get it functional again without too much trouble, I'm going to do it.

Thanks for all your comments.

I'll come back and post my status, but it probably won't be for 6 months or so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks