Nightmare with shallow well system

Users who are viewing this thread

bowhunter

Reaction score
I have purchased a home with a shallow spring fed well, that uses a large septic tank and it has great water. The home sat empty for over 2 years, and the water system was a mess. I have just finished installing a new submerisible pump with new plumbing in the well, and have installed a new pressure tank, new pressure switch, new in line water filter and turned the system on. The pressure immediately jumps up to 30 lbs, but then it takes forever to get to 50 lbs. I have a 30/50 pressure switch. What would cause the pressure to become so slow after 30 lbs. I have checked the pressure tank, it has 26 lbs, and I have bled the system through my drain to ensure there is no air. I'm lost.

bowhunter

Reaction score
It is definately a cistern tank with a 3" water line allowing the spring to enter the tank, and has a 3 inch overflow out. The 1/2 hp 240V pump is verticle attached to 1" steel pipe through the tank with plates on both sides, and then attaches to 1" black pipe to the house. Then It goes thru the filter (obviously in the wrong place I guess) and into the pressure tank. All plumbing is tanks and pump are new. The only fear I have is that some dirt or obstruction could have gotten in the steel pipe and it was put through the tanks side, as the hole we were working in was about 10' feet deep and 4' wide, full of mud. It was a tough install. Could it be an obstruction that could some how allow up to 30lbs pressure and then just slow to a crawl. It slows at 30lbs every time.

Thanks Ron

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
When the pump comes on and the pressure jumps it goes up to the air pressure setting in the tank. It should not be jumping, so the switch is set too low or too much air. The switch at 30/50 says the air with no water in the tank has to be 29-28 psi.

Remove the cartridge from the filter housing and I think you'll find the cause of the problem. Then remove the housing and don't use it or install it after the pressure tank. You never want anything that can bock up between a submersible pump and its pressure switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks