New well, professional water analysis ... need advice!

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by mbradley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mbradley

mbradley New Member

Building a new house near a small town in S. Colorado. The area has a history of "problem" well water - hardness, iron, methane, etc.

House still under construction; plumbing roughed in. Water flows from the well at 2.5 gal/min. into an 1800 gallon cistern. The house has 4 bedrooms 3.5 baths; normally only 2 full time occupants, but we expect visits from family and other guests. Water analysis (below).

My basic problem - I would prefer not to rely only on someone selling softening equipment to tell me what I need or what my options are. And water treatment professionals and services are limited in my area.

I'm not looking for the cheapest solution or specific brand recommendation, but rather the type and degree of treatment I should consider. I'm reasonably handy and don't mind getting involved, but I'm new to water softening and welcome any advice.

Here is the well water analysis done by an independent lab (most measurements are mg/L, ND = not detected):

General Chemistry:

Alkalinity, Bicarbonate 800
    Alkalinity, Carbonate 20.0
    Alkalinity, Hydroxide ND
    Alkalinity, Total 820
    Chloride 22.0
    Conductivity 1510
    Flouride 1.04
    Nitrate/Nitrite as N ND
    pH 8.21
    Sulfate 75
    TDS 935

Dissolved Metals by ICP:

Calcium 13.7
    Hardness 69.9
    Iron 0.093
    Magnesium 8.66
    Potassium 1.13
    Sodium 380

Dissolved Metals by ICPMS:

Antimony 0.0019
    Arsenic 0.0016
    Barium 0.394
    Beryllium ND
    Cadmium ND
    Chromium ND
    Copper 0.0055
    lead 0.0009
    Nickel 0.0027
    Selenium 0.0039
    Thallium ND
    Mercury 0.0002
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

The water IMO contains a lot of sodium which I think you should address. The hardness is about about 4 GPG which is considered hard water. Other than that, the water seems to be good. Are there any smells to the water?
  3. Bob999

Bob999 In the Trades

The high TDS and sodium suggest that a RO system for drinking water would be desirable.

The hardness of 4 grains falls in an area where some people chose to soften the water while others don't. Personally I would soften the water.