New well, professional water analysis ... need advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

mbradley

Reaction score
Building a new house near a small town in S. Colorado. The area has a history of "problem" well water - hardness, iron, methane, etc.

House still under construction; plumbing roughed in. Water flows from the well at 2.5 gal/min. into an 1800 gallon cistern. The house has 4 bedrooms 3.5 baths; normally only 2 full time occupants, but we expect visits from family and other guests. Water analysis (below).

My basic problem - I would prefer not to rely only on someone selling softening equipment to tell me what I need or what my options are. And water treatment professionals and services are limited in my area.

I'm not looking for the cheapest solution or specific brand recommendation, but rather the type and degree of treatment I should consider. I'm reasonably handy and don't mind getting involved, but I'm new to water softening and welcome any advice.

Here is the well water analysis done by an independent lab (most measurements are mg/L, ND = not detected):

General Chemistry:

Alkalinity, Bicarbonate 800
Alkalinity, Carbonate 20.0
Alkalinity, Hydroxide ND
Alkalinity, Total 820
Chloride 22.0
Conductivity 1510
Flouride 1.04
Nitrate/Nitrite as N ND
pH 8.21
Sulfate 75
TDS 935

Dissolved Metals by ICP:

Calcium 13.7
Hardness 69.9
Iron 0.093
Magnesium 8.66
Potassium 1.13
Sodium 380

Dissolved Metals by ICPMS:

Antimony 0.0019
Arsenic 0.0016
Barium 0.394
Beryllium ND
Cadmium ND
Chromium ND
Copper 0.0055
lead 0.0009
Nickel 0.0027
Selenium 0.0039
Thallium ND
Mercury 0.0002

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water IMO contains a lot of sodium which I think you should address. The hardness is about about 4 GPG which is considered hard water. Other than that, the water seems to be good. Are there any smells to the water?

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
The high TDS and sodium suggest that a RO system for drinking water would be desirable.

The hardness of 4 grains falls in an area where some people chose to soften the water while others don't. Personally I would soften the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks