New water softener on a Well

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by chudilo, Sep 12, 2013.

1. chudilo

chudilo New Member

I just had my softener replaced by a local installer.
    I have a couple of questions:

1) The new softener uses a rebranded , Clack. The water seems a bit slimy i.e. soap is hard to wash off. It just regenerated last night for the first time and the water seemed to have gotten a tiny bit better. Should I wait a bit longer before I start messing with settings? I am pretty positive that the old softener was shot.

2) The large, Zinc plated(galvanized), well-water tank only has a 3/4" pipe coming out out it. Is there any benefit in upgrading the pipe from the tank to the softener to a 1" pipe assuming there are a couple of "hard" connections for outside faucets between the tank and the softener. I realise that operating the outside faucets will probably effect the pressure in the house a bit less, but that is not what I am trying to accomplish. I am assuming that changing the tank outlet to a bigger one is out of the question.

So my question is: do I have to change out the tank to one with a bigger outlet pipe to improve the pressure in the shower farthest from the softener/heater?

Thank you.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Anytime you can easily replace galvanized water piping you should. The insides get rusty and close in after awhile restricting water flow.
  3. chudilo

chudilo New Member

The piping starting at the Well Tank is copper.
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Ok sorry, misread that. If all the system is undersized it will have a negative effect on flow.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  5. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Soft water feels "slimy" to people not used to it. Soap IS hard to rinse off. On the other hand, you get clean.