New vanity install - P trap issue

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by bones2116, Mar 15, 2012.

1. bones2116

bones2116 New Member

So I decided to redo our bathroom by replace the old vanity with a newer one. Everything went great until I went to put the new vanity in and the current P trap is to low and now I cant get the vanity in place. My question is that the current p trap goes into the wall the runs horizontally behind it to what I think is the main drain. Can I raise the p trap and where it enters the wall and then have it drop down to where it use to be? Any help would be great as I never done plumbing before.

Jason
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

NO!, You CANNOT do that. You either have to cut the cabinet so the trap will "hang" into it, or raise the entire pipe in the wall.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

In the wall there should also be a vent. You cannot have more than 1/4" of drop (pitch) per foot of pipe between the trap and it's vent.

If you install so that there is too much pitch between the trap and vent, the trap can be siphoned by the flow of water through the pipe. This will allow sewer gas, drain flies, etc., to come into the house through the drain.
  4. bones2116

bones2116 New Member

Didn't think so

Thanks everyone! I didn't think I could since it seemed way to easy of a fix.