New tub -- under 300 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
Because I have a Lowes charge, would like to buy there and because I'm working alone and it's tight fit, would like a plastic tub.

I've never owned one though and now leery because of some of these reviews --

http://www.lowes.com/pd_149726-7-71...urrentURL=?Ntt=bathtub+60+sterling&facetInfo=

Is Sterling a good name? This tub would be ideal for me.

Nice solid 3/4" floor 16 OC and plan on doing it right with mortar etc.

I've always had a steel tub -- can the acrylic ones actually crack or is that because of a poor installation you think?

THANKS.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I installed a 60" shower of the same brand and material. In a mortar base it feels solid. As long as it is properly installed and the recommended cleaning instructions are followed, it should be fine.
With that being said, for a tub, my preference will always be cast iron.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I installed one Sterling tub which was so flimsy, that an 8 year old boy could have lifted it. It was fortunate, however, because I had to put it in and out many times to get everything to fit, because they changed from a 60" depressed floor shower to a 60" tub

Mar3232

Reaction score
ok -- now I'm scared. better start thinking steel.

OR -- have been considering a concrete tub because my stud walls are 59" apart (no shoot) and I'd have to do something creative -- trying to avoid buying a 54" tub.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Steel tubs are worse in the long run, but you might consider the Americast. I would rebuild the wall before I would consider a tub less than 60". Hopefully you understand that the measurement is from stud to stud, not finished wall.

Mar3232

Reaction score
I have concrete block on one side (former garage) and a new stud wall (uncovered on bath side) I built 2 years ago on other side which gives 59" from stud to concrete. (didn't anticipate building the bath). So, figures I missed it by an inch. I thought of taking out the studs, which then would give about 62+ but from the outside drywall to the concrete block.

I thought I might build out with 3/4" cedar or something water proof and then do cement board and tile.

So, what is the favorite acrylic tub in this group? I saw a Maxx on craigslist that's a steal but probably sold (200 bucks for a 60 x 36) new. Need it 300 or less.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks