New tub & shower enclosure - leaking on floor - shower curtain

Users who are viewing this thread

urdrwho

Reaction score
Recently removed the old tub and the 60 years of different tile jobs which made a very thick Thinset / plaster / wallboard. Err - hard to remove!

Installed a well known name brand tub and their tub surround. My wife likes shower curtains and I didn't stud in for shower doors. Although the local custom shower door people said a framed door wouldn't be a problem to install because the acrylic tub lip is fairly thick. They are familiar with the name brand surround that I speak of.

What happens is that at the front, from the shower pressure hitting you eventually forces the water along the area that the surround meets the tub. The surround has a big lip that goes along the bottom/

Because the front is concave the shower curtain can't get a tight seal and the water hitting the concave area then get pushed out at the 90 degree (lip meets tub) channel.

I sent pictures to the manufacturer showing the vertical and horizontal level --- bubble is in those level lines.

If I pour water on the front edge of the tub, it just sits there, it doesn't start rolling toward the edge (sent picture to manufacturer).

I then had someone get in the tub and I made a video showing that eventually there will be a river forced to come out that 90 degree channel.

Looking at tubes at HD and Lowes I see that there are tubs designed in a manner that there is a channel built in to the side of the tub that funnels water back into the tub. I also saw a tub with a built up lip that goes the entire length of the tub. The channel and lip designs are (IMHO) designed to keep the problem I have from happening.

So I sent a bunch of pictures to the manufacturer service department. They are going to refund my money, there wasn't a fight or tussle about it. Either two things: They are great at customer service and refunding anyone not satisfied or two --- this is a known issue with this unit.

We have yet to receive the refund but when we do all that it will do is help pay for some of the shower door. It won't pay the entire invoice for purchase and install but it will help. We didn't want a shower door but there is no other way. I don't like those triangle things that you can buy to install at the tub front.

Hind site --- I would have bought one of the tub & surrounds with the channel built into the tub or the lip built onto the tub. The tub with the channel design may have been a Sterling.

Right now we just lay a rag along the tub to catch the water.

If I could I would enclose a video of me pouring some water onto the front part of the tub. It doesn't flow toward the edge. I pour some more water and it just sits there proving the tub is level. Therefore it has to happen with the force of the water pushing the water. Heck force can push water uphill and there is no way to close off that area where the surround lip meets the tub.

I tried to insert pics from Google Drive but it didn't work. Spent about $4,000 to have the old stuff removed and new stuff installed. Not thrilled at the moment.

Attachments 20170106_152120- is not our tub but one of the examples we saw (after install) of a channel built into the tub that should help keep pressurized water from flowing toward the edge.

Attachments

• Tub level.jpg
    Tub level.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 461
  • Surround vertical level.jpg
    Surround vertical level.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 433
  • 20170106_152120.jpg
    20170106_152120.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:

bugman

Reaction score
I didn't read you're write up because it was quite a book however I did see a photo where it's obvious there is a valley on the edge of the tub which could potentially hold water. Duly noted. Who would design something like this? Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear you had to go through the headache :confused:.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks