new trim for dated Delta 600 series Shower Fixture

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jbequss, May 20, 2011.

1. jbequss

jbequss New Member

I have an older (70's/early 80's) Delta shower fixture with the chrome and acrylic ball style handle that appears to be like the current Monitor 13 fixture Delta currently sells. After doing a bath remodel in a tuscany look, I want to incorporate a oil rubbed bronze fixture in the shower but my wife will not have me open up the backside of the wall to install a new valve. The project has dragged on too long.:( Can I install new trims and shower head that will fit the old valve? What will be my biggest challenge?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A call to Delta would give you the info you need. One of the pros here probably knows about what trim may be available. But, if the valve does not have anti-scald technology, and you're doing a remodel, code generally requires you to update the valve to one that has this, which may be a push for your wife. It would protect her, you, maybe the children from potentially getting scalded if there's a hiccup in the pressure by somebody flushing a toilet, etc. while you're in the shower.

Failing that, you can change the valve from the front if you make a bigger hole, then using a remodeling/rennovation plate. Delta, and others, make them in various finishes. The plate covers the bigger hole, and the new valve trim fits on it.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If yours is the type that you tip up to turn on, then left or right, that would be a 600. If you just turn it, it could be or 15. That old, probably not 13. The available trims will be limited. Delta doesn't make that stuff anymore, but aftermarket and licensees do. Chrome is available. Other finishes....maybe.

Post a pic of the the escutcheon, and behind the escutcheon'
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The major problem with getting updated trims is the location of the bolt holes. ALL the new ones have the holes diagonally at the lower left and upper right locations. The older ones have both of them at the bottom. In addition, the size of the center opening varies according to which model it is. Your chances of finding ORB trim may border on the impossible, unless you take yours to a replating shop.
  5. Marc46

Marc46 HVAC Contractor

6. jbequss

jbequss New Member

I think you might be on to something here, Marc46. This is just what mine looks like. I like some of the othe options as well. This gives me some hope. Thanks to all for info.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

$39.00? I am not sure about the quality, since the average ORB trim costs in the hundreds. But you also need a shower arm, flange, and head
  8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

This is a nice kit to update with.
    RP54870

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

A couple of years ago I needed to repair my shower/tub valve. I had the antique brass trim, and at that time I found that that trim color was discontinued. I ended up replacing the entire valve with a new one that had scald control and volume control. I think it is a model 1700 (not positive) My wife really likes the volume control and both of like the scald control. Best of both worlds.
  10. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Gary,
    Something like this?

This new Linden Delta trim with pressure balance replaced the old swivel up and down acrylic knob.
    I was able to sawzall out the old valve, head the bits still left on the copper pipe, pull them off and clean the pipe for reuse.

[​IMG]

This entailed removing the old Delta valve and installing a new rough valve in the wall.