New toilet install over pebble tile

Users who are viewing this thread

txtroutbum

Reaction score
I've installed a pebble floor tile in an upstairs bathroom, and am preparing to install a new AS Champion 4 toilet. The existing flange (plastic and pvc) seem to be in good shape, but it appears I could use 1/2 extension to get the flange up to the level of the tiles. Since these are pebbles, they're a bit uneven, so I'm wondering if I need to think through any issues before I install... Here's my plan:

1. I'll install the extension on the existing flange, planning to use new screws to attach through both extension and flange to the plywood subfloor.
2. the toilet came with all parts including a wax ring. Assuming this will work fine with the extension
3. Just standard caulk to seal the toilet to the floor, with a finish bead around it to match the grout.

What am I missing? Should I get some shims to anticipate needing to level with the pebble tile floor?

Thanks.....David

Last edited by a moderator:

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Composite shims and some silicone for the flange extenders. Put a healthy bead of silicone all around the flange before stacking them. You may need longer closet bolts to make up for the added height of the flange.

txtroutbum

Reaction score
Thanks Quagmire...

an additional question, now that I have the flange spacer...The screw holes on the spacer do not line up with the screw holes on the actual flange. I originally hoped that the holes would line up, and that I'd just run a longer screw through both into the sub floor. Would the best solution now be to put the original screws back into the flange, then run the new longer screws through the spacer + the flange into the floor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks