New outdoor faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

BobSmith

Reaction score
Any pointers on installing a new outdoor faucet?

Will be cutting into pipe supplying one side of the house, installing a tee-fitting and running to the back of house. Will install a shut off on the inside of the house as we are in a cold climate.

Question is, should I install any threaded fittings or sweat the whole install? I have done plenty of sweating so I am not concerned about that, but am wondering about haveing a point where a future owner could, if need be, pull the sillcock without haveing to cut the pipe. Thanks.

Matt

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If sweating is no sweat, then sweat it.

Just pull the stem B4 sweating.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Make sure the horizontal portion going through the wall slopes down a little, so when you close things off for the winter, it can drain. Consider a frost-free silcock, too. Then, you don't have to remember in the fall to turn it off. They will not work properly if your foundation has air leaks, and the inside temp can get low enough, but for many situations, they work fine.

BobSmith

Reaction score
One more question

Any preference on starting point? From the tee out, or from the sillcock in? Thanks.

Matt

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
sillcock

I some times like to solder on a cxmip adpt. and screw on a i. p. sill cock.
Push it in the house and run the final pipe and fitgs. Make sure its aligned and sweat it. If you need in the future to replace the sillcock, you can just unscrew the old one.

I always use a stop and waste valve for the shut-off.
That way I can shut it off and drain the line from both ends.

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
Inside out or outside in?

Determine what's more inflexible - where you can tee into the main, or where the sillcock needs to be positioned. Start there.

Personally, I'd go inside out, since you should position the hole through your rim joist properly, and that can be best seen from inside the basement.

Also, DEFINITELY do a frost-free sillcock. It's better in the winter, AND since the nipple extends 12-14" into the house, you'll have an easier time screwing, soldering, manipulating the nipple (sounds kinky ;))

Don't worry about sloping the sillcock down. Make it level and pretty. In the off position, 99% of the water will flow out of a level sillcock since the drain is on the bottom. That remaining tiny bit (if there even is any) will not freeze-expand enough to do any damage. It'll evaporate out of the sillcock in a couple days anyway.

One thing you might consider is installing a boiler drain off the tee to your new faucet. It'll make subsequent 'whole-house-draining' for future soldering projects a little easier. Good luck draining it for this project. Two words: WONDER BREAD!

soldering_bread.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
sillcock

If you do a frost proof, do not leave a hose hung on it when it gets cold because it will freeze and split inside your wall.