new moen cartridge won't go in

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by skylyn, Dec 16, 2007.

1. skylyn

skylyn New Member

The single handle bathtub fixture broke off yesterday. I pulled the cover off and managed to extract (it was pretty difficult!) the broken cartridge. I got a new assembly from HD and thought it would be pretty easy to install. However, I can't get the new moen cartridge in all of the way! Am i missing something? The old cartridge was numbered #96909 (or 60696). I can't find a direct replacement, but that wouldn't help because the handle itself broke too.

Also, would it be easier to just go with another brand? Will they work with the plumbing fixture pictured below? In the pic below, the new cartridge is in (but not all of the way).

[​IMG]

Moen replacement 1222 for the Posi-Temp Shower Valve
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

You need to return the junk from HD and go to Low*s and buy an OEM cartridge.

The other thing is look inside the valve with a flashlight, and be sure there are no peices of rubber inside.

You can also put a thin coating of silicone onside the valve B 4 U install it, it should come with the new cartridge, if it doesn't you can buy some.

[​IMG]

Moen 1222 for the Posi-Temp

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011
  3. skylyn

skylyn New Member

I can't just replace it, the handle is broke! The metal piece broke off inside it. Can i install another brand (a complete kit) with the existing plumbing? Are any easier than moen?
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

How did you remove the old one?
  5. skylyn

skylyn New Member

the handle snapped off in the middle. I took the cover plate off and pulled the old cartridge out with a pliers.
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

Are you talking about the clear plastic handel or the brass stem in the center of the cartridge?
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Can you post a pic of the old cartridge, and the old handle? Something doesn't look quite right.
  8. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

I looks like the tabs on the cartridge are not lined with the slots on valve body.
    Twist cartridge with pliers and gently push at same time. This might work.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  9. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

First there is probably no valve out there that is easier to work on than what you have. Pull the cartridge back out and make sure there is nothing inside the bore of the valve. Grease the cartridge and push it in.
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

The home centers will have replacement handle for Moen. Maybe not a metal handle, if that's what you had before, but a clear plastic handle that will fit.

I tried one of the HD replacement cartridges for the Moen Positemp. Never again.

11. And the #1 Moen problem that graces the world wide web of plumbing forums? Can't get the *#@! cartridge out/stuck/broke off/pieces left in the assembly.

I start to whimper and cry like a baby when a customer calls me with a moen faucet problem. Special tools to remove them. Have to be careful how you reinstall them as well....can cut the rubbers quite easily because the valve openings are machined slotted, not ported.

Don't get me started on 875 series kitchen sink faucets either. Curse the one who's blessed with a leaking backflow preventor. Curses I say!
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  12. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

The 1225s are the easist to replace,proper tool proper fix.
  13. traveler1101

traveler1101 New Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  14. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Moen

There are several styles of metal lever handles for that valve. You have to get the whole handle assembly because they use an adapter to secure it to the stem.
  15. traveler1101

traveler1101 New Member

Can you tell me where I can find one? I am also from AZ.

Thanks
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  16. Lancaster

Lancaster New Member

You buy a complete Posi-temp lever-style shower trim kit,cheapest one is TL182.Change out the handle and put the other parts (shower head,shower arm,escutcheon) in your junk box,or change them too,or throw them in the bushes,whatever.Available at any Moen distributor for what,40 bucks? I dont think the box stores carry the bulk-pack items but you can check.
  17. traveler1101

traveler1101 New Member

Thank You Very Much!!!!!!
  18. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

handle

BPI in Phoenix, or call 1-800-BUYMOEN after looking on the Internet for the number of the handle you like.
  19. spanz

spanz New Member

I need to replace this cartridge too. I called moen cust. service and they are sending a free replacement cartridge out, so try that way first! The new moen part number is 1222. The lady said the 96909 part number was meaningless.

[​IMG]

Moen replacement 1222 for the Posi-Temp Shower Valve
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011