After installing new Grohe thermo cartridge still getting only hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

djay

Reaction score
Hi,

In my shower I have two grohe shower fixtures. On both of them they started to only put out hot water.

I purchased new thermo cartridge and new non return check valves. However after replacing they both still only put out hot water as it seems like they are not mixing the cold water.

When I shut off the hot water at the hot water tank, no water flows from the shower head. I am not sure if this is just some type of safety shut off if there is no flow on one of the lines?

I have also removed the thermo cartridge to try to flush the lines and the water does come out warm from the hole where the cartridge is normally screwed into. So it seems like it is getting both hot and cold lines coming in.

I don't think I am installing the cartridge incorrectly as there doesn't to be any special installation for it.

The cartridge is: Grohe part number: 47662 : https://www.grohe.us/Rough-Valve-Spare-Parts/1-2-Inch-Thermostatic-Cartridge/GROHE-CHROME-47662000

Any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated,

Thanks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
These are likley pressure balanced. Meaning if you turn the hot off, then the cold will also stop flowing.

Your saying if you take the cartridge out the water seems to mix? If so there could be an initial setup that needs done on the thermostatic cartridge. When I looked at the install sheet from your link it was in German so you might have to call grohe.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

djay

Reaction score
With the cartridge removed, slowly open the cold water. No water? Problem is further back since both are affected. Something is jammed in the plumbing. Are there built in stops in the valve body? Any diverter valve?

When I remove the cartridge I do get water. And it is warm so I am getting both hot and cold water flowing. I do not believe there is any built in stops. But here is a picture of the valve body.

Attachments

• ValveBodyImage2.jpeg
    ValveBodyImage2.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 129

djay

Reaction score
These are likley pressure balanced. Meaning if you turn the hot off, then the cold will also stop flowing.

Your saying if you take the cartridge out the water seems to mix? If so there could be an initial setup that needs done on the thermostatic cartridge. When I looked at the install sheet from your link it was in German so you might have to call grohe.
Ok will try to check with Grohe again. thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks