New kitchen sink plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Onecooljewel, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Onecooljewel

Onecooljewel New Member

Hello,
    We're building a new home. We hired a plumber to do the rough-in and now we're installing fixtures.

He gave us two vented drains under the sink. We have a double sink, garbage disposal, and a dishwasher. What are the two drains for? Any tips for plumbing these?

Thank you.
    Julie
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Pictures would help,can you post some pics?
  3. smellslike$tome

smellslike$tome Plumbing Company Owner

Most likely, one is for the kitchen sink waste piping and the other is for the dishwasher. This is of course without seeing what you are talking about.
  4. Onecooljewel

Onecooljewel New Member

Thanks for responding. I will hopefully post photos tomorrow. A big snowstorm has knocked out our T1 cable.

Thanks again,
    Julie
  5. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

Maybe for a double bowl sink?

We have our two bowls mixing under the sinks, and while I know it is right, we get more clogs where the two meet than anywhere else in the house.
  6. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Can you post a picture of the junction?
  7. Onecooljewel

Onecooljewel New Member

Here are two pics. Unfortunately I do not have a picture from the kitchen side before we closed the wall, but I think you can see what's going on between the two pictures. The two drains are stacked one over the other and share the same vent.

If the second one is for a dishwasher, how do you connect the dishwasher drain to it?? Is there some type of adapter?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

8. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

The bottom pipe is for a clean out.Female adapter W/plug will be installed
    this for ease of cleaning drain if you ever have a stoppage.Good thinking.
    This way you do not have disasemble trap and or other parts under the sink just to clean the drain.
  9. Onecooljewel

Onecooljewel New Member

So do we cut the cleanout back as close as possible to the main drain so that water/debris doesn't sit in there and get nasty?
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It shouldn't accumulate stuff there, and since it will be below the trap, anything that does end up there (it should slope in to the vertical slightly) won't matter since it is on the sewer side of the trap. As long as you can still attach the cleanout, you can make it as close to the back of the cabinet as you wish, but it makes it harder to get to when needed.
  11. Onecooljewel

Onecooljewel New Member

Thanks for all of your help! We're good to go.

Julie
  12. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Too cool jewel:)