New Kitchen Gas Line Install

Users who are viewing this thread

pensfan84

Reaction score
Okay, simple question.

I'm extending an existing gas line in my home for a gas range installation. I'm going to install a few new shutoffs and extend the line into the kitchen - my question is this: what's the best sealant to use on the pipes when I connect them together? Is teflon tape sufficient/recommended, or is thread sealant the way to go?

pensfan84

Reaction score
My home is 80 years old, and unfortunately the previous owners did not install a single shutoff aside from the main at the meter. I'm going to install a shutoff at the branch that goes off to the kitchen, and another right before the connection to the range. Is this not the best idea?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hardly ANYONE installs shutoffs on the "main". I can't think of a single one I have EVER done. The only reason for your second shutoff would be so you can have that section tested and inspected independently.

pensfan84

Reaction score
What I refer to as the 'main' is the shutoff that is outside the home, at the meter. Sorry if I did not use the correct terminology.

As for inside the home - there is only one shutoff, the branch that goes to my gas dryer. Yes, that would be my reasoning for a shutoff on the branch, to allow for independent testing and inspection. Thanks for confirming that, and replying so quickly!

As for the sealant - I'm comfortable with using both, so I'm glad that it doesn't matter which one to use. Thanks for confirming that as well!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For teflon tape, it must be gas approved, meaning it will be yellow.
Since the threads on steel pipe are often rougher than what you find on factory brass fittings, I like a thick paste. Regular oatey, great white, or megaloc are all good.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Unions are useful, but behind a wall they are a definite no-no.

Labor unions are always useful though and I always prefer union labor.

It's just a shame that Americans have been tricked into thinking labor unions are bad and rich bosses are good because they, falsely, all assume that they too will be rich one day. Which most, of course, never are.

Let the Bush tax cuts for the rich expire.

Rich men do not create jobs. Poor people buying things and with their small savings owning shares in large companies do.

Share the wealth. Because you ain't ever gonna be rich. (Terry excluded, he's got his own baseball team after all).

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Interesting Jimbo that some of the posters on here who are most opposed to unions (which Reagan - the actor - so gleefully removed) would today support the very message that these unions were advocating in that ad back in the 1970/80s.

I'm gonna keep looking for that union label. Perhaps one day I'll find it.

But like I said before, hopefully not behind a wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
The correct way to connect in the middle of two " gas " pipes are

with a left and right nipple and coupling

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only on govt. Jobs think god !

If you have ever wondered why govt. Work costs so much more then the private sector
to do the same work !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks