New home with new water softener system - water smells and leaves hard water marks

Users who are viewing this thread

ShelbyC

Reaction score
Hello, I really hope someone can help me.
I have been doing a lot of research on wells, septic systems, and water softeners because we just bought our first home without city water!
It is a new build, and you would think there wouldn't be anything wrong with the water system..but, it SMELLS.. And I can't get it to go away. It also leaves pretty bad hard water marks on any glass surfaces and counters around sinks.
I can't seem to find a lot of information about my system:
It has Coast Pump Water Technologies logo on both of the filters. But it doesn't have a big tank that holds all the water? I can't find information on how it works.
20170815_172707.jpg
20170815_172714.jpg
20170815_172728.jpg
20170815_172737.jpg
20170815_172742.jpg

Anyway. After it runs it seems to smell a little better. We even tried backwashing and regenerating everyday and the only thing it did was run through a ton of salt.
We keep the salt tank full of salt pellets just past the water line.. We thought there might be a plug so we washed the whole salt container out, with no luck.
I've checked the lines to see if they are plugged. Nothing. Still smells.
Please, if anyone can help I would appreciate it! I'm stumped, but I am also very new to this whole water system.
Thank you in advance!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It looks like the system is new, you should check with the installer.

I see a strange potential problem with your systems. The tank on the left shows a "D" injector and a brine port, but no brine tank or filter etc. If the system has an active injection system the brine port will usually have a screen of some type.

In order to have any idea as to what the smell is, we need a complete water report. Now that you are on your own well, this also means you are the person required to test the water to ensure its safety and quality.

Can you describe the smell? Is it earthy/musty, or rotten egg? Since you are in Florida it is common to see tannins and organics in the water that can cause some fairly bad flavors.

ShelbyC

Reaction score
It looks like the system is new, you should check with the installer.

I see a strange potential problem with your systems. The tank on the left shows a "D" injector and a brine port, but no brine tank or filter etc. If the system has an active injection system the brine port will usually have a screen of some type.

In order to have any idea as to what the smell is, we need a complete water report. Now that you are on your own well, this also means you are the person required to test the water to ensure its safety and quality.

Can you describe the smell? Is it earthy/musty, or rotten egg? Since you are in Florida it is common to see tannins and organics in the water that can cause some fairly bad flavors.

Hi, thank you for your reply!
I noticed the same thing about the D connector on the left tank. When it was going through it's cycle there was water that actually shot straight out of it.
The water smells mostly musty but if it hasn't ran a regeneration in a couple days it seems to have a stronger rotten egg type of smell. You can definitely taste it too, it's not very delightful to even brush your teeth with.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Wow, somebody definitely screwed up this one. you need to find out what is in the tanks. It could be a tannin reduction media that is typically used to reduce the musty smell and discolored water. If it is rotten egg smell then it could be partially caused by the tannin decomposing and releasing h2s or similar smelling gasses. Can you find out what they were supposed to install? The port should be connected to a salt tank or an air filter or even a chemical tank with chlorine or h2o2 but it should not just be open to atmosphere like that.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. You want to protect all of the plastic from the sun. The tanks are painted, so that is OK. But you have a lot of pipes and the controllers which are not painted. Paint them or cover them some other way.

2. With a well, you want a lab water test. I don't know about testing for tanins. I like kit 90 for most home wells, but it does not test for tannins. That would be an extra, and is not priced out on their site. The test does not test for H2S either.

3. I would sanitize my well and plumbing. What kind of well do you have? That may help the smell.

4. That light colored tank is a pressure tank. It may be a Flexcon such as this: https://www.flexconind.com/products/well-tanks/flexlite-well-tanks/ Those are nice tanks. There are other tanks that look similar that have a bladder instead of a diaphragm. Those are not as good. That tank needs to be protected from the sun too.

You could tie a car cover or tarp around everything for cheap, and easy. You could find specially made covers to fit things. Or you could get something made locally.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good eyes Ditto. I noticed the brine port not connected right off as well. It looks as if someone is trying to make an air system with that tank. Notice the check valve on the inlet? If in fact they tried to make an air system it will never work. Water flows out the brine elbow as you stated. There is suppose to be a check valve on that as well preventing that. Using a clear glass, fill with water. Hold it up to the light. If it has a very weak color tea, that is a sign of tannins. If you are a do it yourself let me know. I may be able to help but I have to know whats in the water first.

ditttohead

Reaction score
I missed the inlet check, I agree, likely a air injection system but... non proprietary clacks have a double backwash... unless it is proprietary the air injection systems wont hold an air charge. A 3/8" John Guest check valve and an autotrol draw screen might help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks