New Campbell Mfg 2" Silent Sewage Check Valve slow to open

Users who are viewing this thread

aswetich

Reaction score
I installed a sewage ejection pump in my basement about 10 years ago and recently noticed water was backfilling to to the tank when it stopped pumping. Knowing the check valve was bad I decided to replace it with the new type that is silent because the end of cyle "Thump" always drove me nuts. The valve I purchased is clear so I noticed something strange during a pumping cycle and wanted to know if it should concern me.

When the pump 1st starts the valve doesn't open for at least 10 seconds like there is not enough presurre to open the valve sometimes. My old valve wasn't clear so it may have done this before I never knew it. Is this normal ?

Some installation facts to note:

1. The old valve was installed horzontally just above the pump and the new one is vertical about 1 foot further up the line. The new valve was longer than the old one and there was not enough space to install it horizontally. From what I found on-line the verticle installation of the silent type check valve should not be an issue.
2. The 2" pipe goes 8 feet up from the sump to the main gravety drain that goes to the septic field.

Thanks

aswetich

Reaction score
The valve was only $24 on **** delivered to my house. So it's ok for the valve not to open for 10-20 seconds sometimes ? Sometimes the valve opens right away...

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The right away might mean the valve leaks down a bit and the head pressure decreases, which is why a lot of stuff ends up on ohge-baby.

Zoeller makes sewage valves of top quality for a bit less.

Or sometimes your pump has some junk on the impeller and it takes time to build head. Did you drill a tiny hole in the pipe below the valve per the pump makers reccomndation?

Is this what you have?

http://www.aquacave.com/swing-check-valves-true-unionbr-clear-pvc-socket-connection-479.html

Ok for sumps but not for sewage! If your valve was not made for sewage, it wont work. My sewage check valve is a hayward 3" ball check, but it cost 150+$

http://www.deanbennett.com/zoellercheckvalves.htm

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks