Nees advice for new pumps.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Windwood, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Windwood

Windwood New Member

A friend of mine has a creek that he has diverted into a small pond that he dug (approx. 15' diameter by 6' deep). He pumps up hill from there (it think it's about 30-40 ft. lift) to his lake. In the lake, there is another pump which pumps to a waterfall on one end of the lake. Both pumps are on the fritz.
    I'm headed over there now to get pipe sizes and measure the lift from the pond so I can ask you nice folk to help me get the right pump for him.
    The supplied voltage at the pond is 240V AC on a 30Amp circuit, with the waterfall pump on 120V 20Amp circuit and I don't want to change that as I have recently repaired all the electric and install switches for each pump. Also, clogging is an issue. He currently has the pumps sitting on the bottom. I tried to raise them up so ithey're not in the mud, as each is suspended from a bridge, (man is it heavy) but I think we need to rethink the config. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Rick
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

You are going to have to tell us how much water you want to move or what size and how long these pipes are so we can figure the max flow available (if that's what you need).

Telling us the brands and horsepower of what kind of pumps they are would be helpful also.

bob...
  3. Windwood

Windwood New Member

Just returned from checking out the scene. I took some photo so you can see the situation. I sighted over a level from the top of the lake. It looks like a 30 foot lift from the pond and the pipe is 2" PVC from pump to lake. It's approximately 120 L.F. of pipe from pump to lake discharge. The pump is a Zoeller E-163D, 1/2 HP, 230V, 7.5Amp. I've installed a high low swithing device at the pond and a service cut off switch at the house. I checked to see if there was current at the pump and switch and there is. This pump seems to do the job but, I have a feeling it might be a bit under powered and over worked, hence it's failure. As to GPM, I have no clue. There is no specification by the owner. Also, I might add that he runs the pump allmost all the time. When the lake is full, it hits the overflow and goes back down to the pond where the pump is and so the pump is liable to work a lot, sometimes constantly for long periods.

Here's a shot of the I.D. tag.
    [​IMG]

Here's some shots of the land.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  4. speedbump

Ok, I have Myers pumps that will do either a little less than 100 gpm with 4/10th hp or a little better than 100 gpm with a 1/2hp. That's about all your going to get through 2" pipe.

I don't know what you mean by a hi low switch. Could it be a float switch?

What about the pump for the fountain? What is it?

bob...
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pump

The horsepower is not especially relevent. What is important is the cutoff point of the pump, the maximum height it can lift the water and the volume, if any, available at your height requirement. That must be a very old pump because the Zoeller site does not show it any longer so the performance curve is not available.
  6. speedbump

Forget what I said about the 4/10th and the 1/2hp. I missed the 30 foot lift thing. To lift that high and get into the 100 plus gallons per minute pumps, your looking at slightly more horsepower and money.

bob...