Need some advice on this fix!! Urgent

Users who are viewing this thread

mowas

Reaction score
Bought this house 2 years ago in Florida. Some hack of a plumber has me ripping ceilings out every 2 months..this is a 3 inch drain line with a 16 foot run from a 3 piece bathroom. This is the drop zone of doom..It clogs bad..I need to redo this and have it not clog..ideas and tips please!!

seann

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not real clear on what your issue is exactly? Sounds like your drain keeps backing up every couple months? But i dont understand what that has to do with tearing into the ceiling? Anyways..
A couple ideas.... you have 1 of these 2 issues. 1) your 16ft run of 3" drain line has no downward slope, or it is running backwards. Or 2) you need to have a good drain cleaning person pull your upstairs toilet that is connected to that line and have it cabled with a full size 3" cutting blade to remove any blockages.
You will not want to call a plumber or plumbing company for this. Most plumbing companies do a terrible job at drain cleaning because they don't really know what they are doing, usually dont have the best equipment, and will use too small of a cutting blade on their cable. So you will just be throwing you money down the drain. You will want to call a company or person that specializes in drain cleaning only. They will do a much better job. Just make sure they use a full 3" cutter blade for your 3" drain line. Otherwise it will not get fully open to a full 3" diameter.
Unless your drain line is sloping backwards, then replacing it will not be of much benefit. If it is not sloping backwards then your issue is almost certain a partial blockage in your drain line that toilet paper is getting stuck on and causing your backup in your drain.
So call a "drain cleaner" and have it cabled correctly.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Not real clear on what your issue is exactly? Sounds like your drain keeps backing up every couple months? But i dont understand what that has to do with tearing into the ceiling? Anyways..
A couple ideas.... you have 1 of these 2 issues. 1) your 16ft run of 3" drain line has no downward slope, or it is running backwards. Or 2) you need to have a good drain cleaning person pull your upstairs toilet that is connected to that line and have it cabled with a full size 3" cutting blade to remove any blockages.
You will not want to call a plumber or plumbing company for this. Most plumbing companies do a terrible job at drain cleaning because they don't really know what they are doing, usually dont have the best equipment, and will use too small of a cutting blade on their cable. So you will just be throwing you money down the drain. You will want to call a company or person that specializes in drain cleaning only. They will do a much better job. Just make sure they use a full 3" cutter blade for your 3" drain line. Otherwise it will not get fully open to a full 3" diameter.
Unless your drain line is sloping backwards, then replacing it will not be of much benefit. If it is not sloping backwards then your issue is almost certain a partial blockage in your drain line that toilet paper is getting stuck on and causing your backup in your drain.
So call a "drain cleaner" and have it cabled correctly.
Actually No one knows more about proper sewer and drain cleaning then the master plumbers who install them

I started Water Jetting in the early 1980s and taught classes on when and how and which water Jetter and or cable machine to use

I was averaging over $6,000 a a day doing sewer and drain cleaning by myself and less then 1% call backs

I still do water jetting and maintain grease traps and work on acid and chemical waste lines

If you have chronic stoppages has anyone checked for a proper vent beside the obvious pitch

Using a 3" "CUTTER" in a 3" PVC line is an accident looking for a place to happen.

Knowing PVC has ells and no long radius sweeps is looking to have the ell cut by the root cutters.

A decent mechanic knows PVC unlike cast iron is smooth inside and a water Jetter will scour the line to restore full flow. A jetter should not be used on hard stoppages such as grouting or root stoppages

I was NOT paid by General to endorse their products

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks