Need new shower, design ideas/questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Claythrow

Reaction score
The shower downstairs is just a 2 piece stall, acrylic or FG type material. However the bottom of the shower is starting to crack.

The stall is very tight to begin with, if I drop the soap I have to do an awkward squat move to get it otherwise I hit my head or my butt against the shower stall walls & can't reach the soap.

If I have to replace it, I was thinking of removing it, & putting up cement board (curdy perhaps?) along those 3 walls & just tiling it. That would give me an extra 2" of space on each dimension of the stall, even more space where the bottom piece takes over.

I would basically just have to install one of those curbs & I would have a similar setup as before. I would also tile higher up the wall than the existing shower stall goes.

However, this would be the first shower stall replacement I've ever done. I'm pretty handy, mechanical, & loaded with tools. Is there anything I'm not taking into account?

Also, to remove the old one, I know it slides up & under the drywall on the top, & the bottom piece slides up & under the top piece. What is the best way to remove these? Smash & carry or what?