Need help.. Light fixture with two ground wires???

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by kali2024, Jun 15, 2013.

1. kali2024

kali2024 New Member

Hi all, so I've got a light fixture with a black, a white and what looks like two ground wires.. what do i do with these? The house box/outlet has a black, white and ground. Thanks in advance. photo.jpg photo copy.jpg
  2. kali2024

kali2024 New Member

I meant to say that I've never seen two copper wires in a fixture before.. do I tie them together to the end of the ground from the house and put that cap thingie on? (house ground is attached to ground screw but has about two inches hanging)
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Tie both of the ground leads into the ground from the power cable.
  4. kali2024

kali2024 New Member

Thank you!!! Just out of curiosity... why was the fixtures supplied with two copper wires? What's the point? Wouldn't one be enough?
  5. ImOld

ImOld New Member

It has to do with making all metal or conducting parts the same electrical potential to avoid shocks.

It's called "bonding".

When you manufacture a piece of electrical equipment, even though the parts look to be attached to each other securely, electrically they may be insulated by paint or poor assembly.

The fixture has a UL label which means it has been tested with the two wires as a requirement.
  6. kali2024

kali2024 New Member

Makes sense.Thank you for taking your time to answer.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If for some reason, the nut came loose, allowing parts to separate, they wouldn't all be grounded. Can't see what's inside, but there may be a similar situation.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

wire

The second ground wire may be connected to the socket, which could be housed in plastic and thus isolated from the housing.