Need help.. Light fixture with two ground wires???

Users who are viewing this thread

Kali2024

Reaction score
Hi all, so I've got a light fixture with a black, a white and what looks like two ground wires.. what do i do with these? The house box/outlet has a black, white and ground. Thanks in advance. photo.jpgphoto copy.jpg

Kali2024

Reaction score
I meant to say that I've never seen two copper wires in a fixture before.. do I tie them together to the end of the ground from the house and put that cap thingie on? (house ground is attached to ground screw but has about two inches hanging)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tie both of the ground leads into the ground from the power cable.

Kali2024

Reaction score
Thank you!!! Just out of curiosity... why was the fixtures supplied with two copper wires? What's the point? Wouldn't one be enough?

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Thank you!!! Just out of curiosity... why was the fixtures supplied with two copper wires? What's the point? Wouldn't one be enough?

It has to do with making all metal or conducting parts the same electrical potential to avoid shocks.

It's called "bonding".

When you manufacture a piece of electrical equipment, even though the parts look to be attached to each other securely, electrically they may be insulated by paint or poor assembly.

The fixture has a UL label which means it has been tested with the two wires as a requirement.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If for some reason, the nut came loose, allowing parts to separate, they wouldn't all be grounded. Can't see what's inside, but there may be a similar situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks