Need help choosing a water conditioner for my home

Users who are viewing this thread

Nicolina

Reaction score
I can't find enough information about the differences in these products to know what I need for my home. We have hard water, chlorine and heavy metals. One company has proposed a Water conditioner with KDF Aquafil Systemwith a Fleck Control Valve for $1495 installed. The other company is suggesting a Vortech Unit with Fleck control valve for $1700 but I am sure I could negiotate. Pros? Cons? Differnces? I am really lost trying to compare and get the best thing for our needs.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume you are on city water or get water from a water company. Check with them to get the water test data, and post the chlorine, iron, hardness, and other numbers.

Size needs to be sufficient too. How many people using the water?

Nicolina

Reaction score
Yes City Water. 4 people. 2.5 bathroom house. They are suggesting a 32000 G.C. unit

Reach4

Reaction score
was guessing G.C stands for Granualar Carbon, which is probably activated carbon. But then the 32000 throws me since that is usually used as a convention to indicate a softener with 1 cubic foot of resin.

That sounds smallish for activated charcoal. I will send you a message with an example of what you might be talking about. Click Inbox to see it.

Somebody else will have a better idea as to size and whether you should seek out coconut carbon charcoal for media. There are people here who know about activated charcoal filters.

Also, why did you write "G.C." rather than spelling out what you meant?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
KDF is worthless in a system unless it is designed and applied correctly. A separate tank of KDF or a media Guard work well. Most companies dump a few pounds of KDF into the tank with the GAC and it simply falls to the bottom and forms a little clump. Here is an example of a properly designed system. This is obviously more expensive than just dumping a few pounds in the bottom of the tank. http://www.impactwaterproducts.com/#!Hybrid-KS/zoom/c1vlw/imageqrt

Bannerman

Reaction score
I think he maybe referring to a softener with 32,000 Grains Capacity.

Nicolina, you will need to provide more info about your water conditions before any recommendations can be provided, as Reach suggested. Many municipalities post their water analysis results online or will provide it if requested.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks