Help with older water meter and lead pipe unions

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumberGuy03

Reaction score
I’m working in a 50s home that has an old water meter that needs to be replaced and relocated (minimum height above floor where it is currently under the floor). Looking for some advice on dealing with some old connections. Water meter is a Neptune T-10 with 5/8” x 3/4” coupling connections. Incoming water connects to an old brass shutoff. Outgoing connects to what I believe is lead pipe.

At this stage I haven’t attempted to take anything apart yet, just trying to formulate a game plan so I’m prepare for the worst case scenario. A few questions that I’m hoping people can help me answer or give advice on:

1) Do they make any connectors that can use the incoming union connection to convert to copper or threaded pipe?
2) What type and size of joint is being used on the outgoing connection with the presumed lead pipe? I assume there’s a washer in there, but hoping someone who has worked with this can say for certain.
3) Is the outgoing line actually lead water line? I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3842.jpeg
    IMG_3842.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3844.jpeg
    IMG_3844.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3846.jpeg
    IMG_3846.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 63

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Yes, lead pipe. It must be completely replaced.
most all meters use 3/4" threaded inlets and outlets (the meters are referred to as 5/8" just so you know)
Flat, rubber washers are used in the unions. Always replace the washers (freely available from your utility supplier, just stop a truck on the street).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, lead pipe. It must be completely replaced.
most all meters use 3/4" threaded inlets and outlets (the meters are referred to as 5/8" just so you know)
Flat, rubber washers are used in the unions. Always replace the washers (freely available from your utility supplier, just stop a truck on the street).
ha ha thats how i get meter washers from the water co service guys. goten a few other parts befor from them too. a lot of them use hard nylon washers instead of rubber

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks