Need advice on installing new vanity to old eccentric plumbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Belmondo

Reaction score
So I've got a classic urban archaeology plumbing problem. I want to put in a new wider vanity without major reworking of feeds and drains, or tearing out the tile walls, not that the plumbing is currently behind the walls as you see in the photo. The new cabinet will nearly butt up against the right hand vertical copper vent pipe, putting that vertical feed inside the cab. The other side is a few inches from another wall that extend 10", so I could possible leave the upper feed and the drain long, drill holes in the side and just slide it in to make those 2 work. I also thought to cut the vertical feed shorter than the cab floor, get the cab in position, then jam a sharkbite down through a hole onto it. Obviously the gate valves are history, and feed valves will go inside the cab. So I've got some ideas floating around, but not a plan. Are there any great options that aren't obvious to a pretty good DIY? Any insight would be appreciated.

If I have to I can access the crawl under this bath and drill new feeds up through the floor and into the cab. But that doesn't solve the drain problem. Is there a compression fitting for 1.5" copper? That might help. I'd like to try and avoid attempting to solder a new adapter close to that 45 ell, it has potential for messing up that whole joint. I've never soldered copper bigger than 1".

25301-4ffa6c47d0de1a73909eff12d0229f22.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150716_164228430_modified_th.jpg
    IMG_20150716_164228430_modified_th.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 295

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make copper sized Mission couplings.
You can get and recouple as needed on that. If you have room in the crawl for the water supplies that could make it a bit cleaner.
I prefer compression stops over Sharkbites.

Belmondo

Reaction score
They make copper sized Mission couplings.
You can get and recouple as needed on that. If you have room in the crawl for the water supplies that could make it a bit cleaner.
I prefer compression stops over Sharkbites.
Thanks. So a Mission is the same as a Fernco? Never heard the term before. The reason for the sharkbite idea was to be able to jam it down onto the pipe where a compression would not be accessible. I don't see a way to capture the vertical AND the horizontal feeds into the cab in one move. You're right, I guess I need to get in the crawl and do correctly what can be done relatively easily. I don't want to mess with the drain, lord know why they couldn't keep it inside the chase.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks