Need advice for sulfur in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

geosulcata

Reaction score
We are in SW Florida. Our current set up is as follows - pump from well, pressure tank, whirlpool wholehouse filter (backwashes), water softener (backwashes), Large open aerator tank, second pump and pressure tank, then into the house.

Our water smells of sulfur. We add bleach to the aerator tank every few weeks. Once the chlorine smell is gone, the water not only smells of sulfur gas, but also tastes like sulfur (rotten eggs).

We have had water filtration companies come out.
There suggestions have been:
- a closed filox type product which they say will completely remove the sulfur smell and eliminate the need for the second pump
- a chlorine injection system that goes into the existing aerator (that would be used as a holding tank) and then a whole house charcoal filter which would backwash. This would continue to require the use of the second pump/pressure tank.
-they also suggested we put in a submersible well pump. I believe we have a shallow well (maybe 100 ft or so) that was dug in 1969.

Could our sulfur smell be continuing do to build up in the whole house filter or water softener? What causes the terrible taste after chlorinating the aerator tank? We put in a canister charcoal filter that made the water wonderful, but it clogged in a couple of weeks.

Water test results:
iron .35mg/L
manganese none
magnesium 28.2 mg/L
calcium 54.9mg/L
pH 7.6
TDS 420
Chloride 25.6mg/L
hardness 254mg/L
ammonia .5mg/L
Sulfate 13mg/L

I would greatly appreciate any help - in cleaning, rearranging our system, or adding/replacing components.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks