Need 3 new toilets: Toto Ultramax II or American Standard options

Users who are viewing this thread

keystonek

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to replace three 20-yr-old toilets in my house.

I'm choosing between the 3 below. I'm looking for a dependable flush and low-maintenance (all of them are good for water consumption). The American Standard ones are more stylish with easier-to-clean exteriors, but the Toto seems to be the best reviewed everywhere. I don't mind paying the extra, but if the American Standard ones are as good (just not a well-known), saving a few bucks is always good.

The Cosette uses the least amount of water but has a 2" flush valve too so I don't know if that's too small.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Toto Ultramax II
- American Standard Cosette
- American Standard Tofino

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, I could not find the Tofino on HD's website, or anywhere within 100Km of where I live. It says HD exclusive. That also probably means HD exclusive for parts...they always, eventually need parts...some generic, some specific. HD doesn't have a great reputation for keeping parts if things get discontinued. Toto does have some similar shaped toilets, and you shouldn't go by their suggested retail prices...you can get an idea of fair market prices by looking at Terry's storefront - you can probably get close to that price locally if you try. Something like the Carlyle II is probably quite similar, but if you want dual-flush, one of the Aquia versions would also work. AS has some nice designs...their QA/QC to the big box stores leaves something to be desired from reports. IF you ask Terry, he typically says that Toto has the fewest problems out of the box of any of the brands he sells, and he sells a lot of them.

keystonek

Reaction score
FWIW, I could not find the Tofino on HD's website, or anywhere within 100Km of where I live. It says HD exclusive. That also probably means HD exclusive for parts...they always, eventually need parts...some generic, some specific. HD doesn't have a great reputation for keeping parts if things get discontinued. Toto does have some similar shaped toilets, and you shouldn't go by their suggested retail prices...you can get an idea of fair market prices by looking at Terry's storefront - you can probably get close to that price locally if you try. Something like the Carlyle II is probably quite similar, but if you want dual-flush, one of the Aquia versions would also work. AS has some nice designs...their QA/QC to the big box stores leaves something to be desired from reports. IF you ask Terry, he typically says that Toto has the fewest problems out of the box of any of the brands he sells, and he sells a lot of them.

Yes, locally, the Ultramax II is $450 and both of the AS ones are $300. No similarly styled Totos are in that price range here, unfortunately.

I like the AS Cosette but it's the only one with the smaller flush valve so I'm concerned that the better water consumption is nullified by a weaker flush.

The AS Tofino is an HD exclusive.

I was considering getting one of each, but I'm afraid I'll eventually have a preference and then regret not just buying that one...

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The other way to go is to buy 1 Ultramax II, install it, and try it for a week or two. Odds are you will be very happy with it.

One thing that is unique with Toto is the Double Cyclone bowl wash. I think that's one of the best things to recommend Toto. Nice not having small holes in the rim to get clogged, and also the Double Cyclone does a nice job of rinsing the bowl.

keystonek

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I may get the Tofino for the kids' bathroom since it's shorter and the Ultramax II for ours. Then I'll decide on which to get for the powder room. I think I'll pass on the Cosette as I'm worried about it not having enough flush power.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the lower the flush volume, the less water there is in the bowl otherwise, it will tend to dilute rather than empty the bowl. The toilets of the last 20+ years have ben getting lower flush volumes, and some, yet, still haven't figured out how to do it well or consistently. This can impact the toilet's ability to clean the bowl, but does not mean it can't clear it if it is designed and setup properly.

keystonek

Reaction score
Decided on Ultramax IIs in the ensuite and main, and AS Boulevard in the powder. thanks everyone

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I REALLY like the looks of the Tofino, but apparently it and the Cosette are currently only available in Canada.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
You'll find them on www.homedepot.ca

keystonek

Reaction score
Happy to report that the two Toto Ultramax IIs are great.

Also though, the American Standard Boulevard is performing just as well so far and we love the look of it.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks