Natural gas outlet for BBQ

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Mad Plumber, May 8, 2006.

1. Mad Plumber

Mad Plumber Mad Skills

I just bought a Weber Natural Gas barbecue. I need a 15-foot flexible hose to connect it to my natural gas outlet across my yard. HELP!!
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Check with a deal to see if they have a flex hose that long. Is it possible to run a pipe to the location? When I install my gas BBQ, I put two outlets, one under a breezeway and the other in the open. However, I was able to run the pipe under my deck so all I need for hose is the 12' length that came with the unit. I would presume it would be possible to have a hose made up with the quick couplers. The gas company might have some ideas also.
  3. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I was just thinking about doing this while I have access to the backyard in my not yet finished kitchen remodel.

I would run black iron pipe and use flex for only a short distance. Sure it makes you less flexible in placement (ha! get it?) but I bet its more durable. My local Ace had all kinds of lengths of flex pipe. Check there?

Jason
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I don't actually know if any code restricts the length of a flex line outdoors. Indoors you certainly can NOT use 15 feet. As a practical matter, for safety you should not use such a long hose. Extend the hard pipe to within reach of a 4 or 5 foot hose.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

One thing to be aware of is the national code regarding grills has changed and is being adopted by towns and cities across the country. It severly limits the use of propane in many situations and has some specific provisions regarding natural gas grills as well. The restrictions are much more severe over multi-family dwellings, but single family ones are still potentially impacted. For example, they want the grill at least 10' from the house or an attached deck.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

gas

I hope you would not be running that black pipe underground, and in many areas if it is above ground outdoors it has to be galvanized.
  7. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Do you install the black iron pipe in a sleeve or conduit/duct or something to go outdoors? What does the gas company use for incoming line when its not plastic? Looks like black (rust color) iron pipe.

Jason
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Outdoors above ground, some areas will require you to use black pipe and wrap or paint it. Some areas will require galvanized. Underground, galvanized used to be used a lot, but is no longer accepted. Here, the green epoxy coated is the norm, but failure to properly wrap the joints will also cause failure of that. Plastic pipe, which cannot be installed by homeowners, will eventually replace steel pipe in the codes I believe.
  9. Inspektor Ludwig

Inspektor Ludwig Journeyman/Inspector

Another thing to keep in mind depending on which building code you fall under.
    If you run gas out to your deck and the deck is covered, a sprinkler head is required.
  10. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

to jadnashua

never thought about a barbacue or grill on a 2nd story condo deck. if it was against wood siding, that would be scary :eek: