Natural Gas Fire Table hookup problem/question

Users who are viewing this thread

violetonorange

Reaction score
Hello. Been reading a long time but this is my first post.

Please forgive me if these are foolish questions. We are landscaping our yard in new construction and one of our elements will be a store-bought rectangular natural gas fire table. This one: https://www.restorationhardware.com/...yId=cat2980003

We will be using licensed plumbers and applicable permits, but I want to understand what we're getting into/what our install options are.

Per the instructions (https://images.restorationhardware.c...50079_info.pdf) for this fire table, the appliance connects to our gas source via a flexible metal-mesh tube of 10' length, coming out of the bottom corner of the fire table.

Are we supposed to bury that 10' tube underground in a pipe or something? Or does it: a) rest on the ground, or b) hang in the air above ground?

Frankly, none of the above seems likely but I'm confused because I can't find info on what type of conduit/sleeve I'm supposed to use to cover this metal-mesh tube so that I can safely run it underground. Or -- the flexible hose is supposed to be sitting on top of the ground/hanging in the air at all times? That doesn't seem attractive or safe. What am I missing?

I'm in Southern CA, BTW.

Can anyone help?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In Los Angeles, city inspectors prefer you use wrapped gas pipe (black or green iron) and buried in the ground. The same pipes we use for outdoor BBQs, fire pits and pool heaters. For wrap, use approved 20 mil tape applied spirally to create a 40 mil wrap.
I believe it has to be 12" below grade. At the source (the gas meter) use dielectric connector.
Your plumber will know how and what to do, or you can contact your bldg dept for the details and requirements.
Your inspector will run a leak test before signing off.

violetonorange

Reaction score
In Los Angeles, city inspectors prefer you use wrapped gas pipe (black or green iron) and buried in the ground. The same pipes we use for outdoor BBQs, fire pits and pool heaters. For wrap, use approved 20 mil tape applied spirally to create a 40 mil wrap.
I believe it has to be 12" below grade. At the source (the gas meter) use dielectric connector.
Your plumber will know how and what to do, or you can contact your bldg dept for the details and requirements.
Your inspector will run a leak test before signing off.

Thanks for the helpful info!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks