Name that Valve

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by quaker_emu, Apr 28, 2009.

1. quaker_emu

quaker_emu New Member

Does anybody here recognize this valve? If so a model name or number would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cover plate says American Standard at the bottom. It is in a building that was built circa 1964 and may be original. The only lettering I can find on the valve body itself are the words "shower" and "tub" on the respective fittings.

It is leaking out the valve stem when turned on. Since the only access to the valve is through the tub tile-work I would very much prefer to find replacement parts rather than replacing the entire valve.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

What makes you think it is not an A/S ???
  3. quaker_emu

quaker_emu New Member

It probably was A/S, just long discontinued or something. I have looked all over http://www.americanstandard-us.com/ and not seen anything similar. Given how their site is organized is is also possible I missed something.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

American Standard "Pull and turn". There is a replacement mechanism that bolts to the body and replaces that "Mickey Mouse" assembly. I do not remember off hand who makes it, but might be able to track it down.
  5. quaker_emu

quaker_emu New Member

Thanks hj!!!

If it is not too much trouble to track down the "Mickey Mouse" replacement I would appreciate it - especially if it would allow one to use a "normal" cartridge assembly without replacing the valve body. In the meantime I'll call A/S 800 number and see if I can get anywhere with them.
  6. quaker_emu

quaker_emu New Member

The woman on the A/S 800 number referred to plumbingpartsdepot.com which in turn has an exploded view diagram of the valve

http://plumbingpartsdepot.com/aspushpullshwr.pdf

[p 1 is the exploded view of this valve and p 2 is a parts list.]

It looks like that nut on the end of the stem that looks like a packing nut may in fact be a packing nut. Nothing is ever as simple as it should be but that is a very promising development :D.
  7. quaker_emu

quaker_emu New Member

I turned off the shutoff valves shown above, removed the packing nut and found ... no packing! The back of the packing nut had a groove for an O-Ring so I found an appropriate sized one (#83), put it back together and turned on the water. No more leak around the stem!!! Woohoo!

While it is annoying that somebody previously put the valve back together without the packing O-Ring, this fix was a lot better alternative than shutting off water to an entire high-rise, making a mess out of the tile and spending half a day soldering through a little hole in the wall.

Thanks so much for your help.
  8. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Had we known that we would have discouraged any work and suggested you get the owners involved. Are you the maintenance dude¿
  9. quaker_emu

quaker_emu New Member

Why would you do that? The HOA is aware of the issues and has been since day 1.

I am the one and only all powerful Quaker Emu!!! Unpacked valves the world over fear my #83 O-Rings. : maniacal laugh :
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Not quite the clear answer we were looking for...:confused: