Mystery: How much deadheading will destroy a submersible pump head?

Users who are viewing this thread

mryakima

Reaction score
Several days ago we had a few nights of below zero temps here. I kept water running in the house to prevent freeze-up there, but apparently the pipe froze between the well and the pump house during a pump cycle. I discovered ice packed into the filter in the warm pump house, meaning that a pump cycle pushed fresh ice into the filter stopping all flow, and subsequent deadheading. Now that things are thawed (soil is 40 degrees) , I am still getting no water.

I think the pump must have deadheaded for about 6 hours. It is a 4 inch diameter 3-hp Franklin motor in a 5 inch casing under 100 feet of water at a total depth of 630 ft. Both the motor and pump head (Monarch) are less than a year old and have never deadheaded before this.

I can hear the motor running 600+ feet down the hole but we get no water. Motor sounds normal. Also, the motor tests out for resistance (have not tested maga-ohms yet) and the deluxe control box breakers have not blown.

How likely is it that I damaged or destroyed the pump head in 6 hours of deadheading? Or is there some other explanation for this situation?

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Nope, deadheading the pump for even fifteen minutes can destroy the pump end. When replacing the pump you may want to consider installing a Cycle Sensor www.cyclestopvalves.com. It will turn the pump motor off before deadheading damages the pump. The digital readout on the Cycle Sensor would probably read "Dry Well" when it isn't actually dry but it would save your pump and motor.

mryakima

Reaction score
CycleStop and deadheading

I am not a plumber, but my understanding of the operation of the Cycle Stop valve tells me that it would not have saved this pump since the deadheading was caused by a blockage (ice). A Cycle Stop before or after the blockage would have been useless since flow went to zero. Am I right? Maybe a pressure relief valve in the hole would have been called for.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Several days ago we had a few nights of below zero temps here. I kept water running in the house to prevent freeze-up there, but apparently the pipe froze between the well and the pump house during a pump cycle. I discovered ice packed into the filter in the warm pump house, meaning that a pump cycle pushed fresh ice into the filter stopping all flow, and subsequent deadheading. Now that things are thawed (soil is 40 degrees) , I am still getting no water.

I think the pump must have deadheaded for about 6 hours. It is a 4 inch diameter 3-hp Franklin motor in a 5 inch casing under 100 feet of water at a total depth of 630 ft. Both the motor and pump head (Monarch) are less than a year old and have never deadheaded before this.
Rule #1, never ever install anything between a pressure switch and a submersible pump that can block up...

Especially a disposable cartridge filter that is not needed no matter how much you think it's a good idea and especially with a 4-5" casing. Install it after the pressure tank if you must. If the casing is plastic, the heat of the quickly overheated motor can melt it fast to the casing because there is so little volume of cooling water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks