My house smells

Users who are viewing this thread

Kerri2

Reaction score
This smell is coming from the basement and when the air or heat is on the smell gets worst. I feel sick all the time . What is this smell coming from . I guess I'm use to it , but if I go outside and come back in I smell it again. So I know that it smells all the time I guess i'm just use to it. So WHAT IS IT!!!! PLEASE HELP

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could be lots of things...

Do you have any floor drains in the basement or utility sink? Do you use them at all? If not, try pouring a bucket of water down each of them and see if it makes any difference. The trap could have dried out, letting in sewer gas.

You you have an air conditioner? The drain from the evaporator could also be now dried out (unless you are still using it) causing the same thing.

Lots of otherpossible reasons, too. You need to try to narrow down what it actually smells like, and a source. It could be a squirrel that died in the vent pipe, or something weird like that, too.

Kerri2

Reaction score
i know that its coming from the basement , it smells like rotten eggs . but we have central air so it just brings up the smell from the basement.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd first suspect dried out or missing drain traps. Any drain that is not use for a period of time can dry out and this allows sewer gas to escape into the house. Sewer gas doesn't smell exactly like rotten eggs, but it is pretty foul. Try pouring a quart or so of water into all of the drains in the basement. Floor drain(s) shower, etc.. If the washer is in the basement, check to see that it has a trap. If not, that very like is the source. I mention that because sometimes a DIYer will install a washer drain without a trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks