My house smells

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kerri2, Oct 9, 2005.

1. kerri2

kerri2 New Member

This smell is coming from the basement and when the air or heat is on the smell gets worst. I feel sick all the time . What is this smell coming from . I guess I'm use to it , but if I go outside and come back in I smell it again. So I know that it smells all the time I guess i'm just use to it. So WHAT IS IT!!!! PLEASE HELP
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It could be lots of things...

Do you have any floor drains in the basement or utility sink? Do you use them at all? If not, try pouring a bucket of water down each of them and see if it makes any difference. The trap could have dried out, letting in sewer gas.

You you have an air conditioner? The drain from the evaporator could also be now dried out (unless you are still using it) causing the same thing.

Lots of otherpossible reasons, too. You need to try to narrow down what it actually smells like, and a source. It could be a squirrel that died in the vent pipe, or something weird like that, too.
  3. kerri2

kerri2 New Member

i know that its coming from the basement , it smells like rotten eggs . but we have central air so it just brings up the smell from the basement.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I'd first suspect dried out or missing drain traps. Any drain that is not use for a period of time can dry out and this allows sewer gas to escape into the house. Sewer gas doesn't smell exactly like rotten eggs, but it is pretty foul. Try pouring a quart or so of water into all of the drains in the basement. Floor drain(s) shower, etc.. If the washer is in the basement, check to see that it has a trap. If not, that very like is the source. I mention that because sometimes a DIYer will install a washer drain without a trap.