Multiple Well Points - help

Users who are viewing this thread

Yar02169

Reaction score
I have a shallow irrigation only well of about 21'. The casing has 8' of mesh at the bottom, and the 36" x 1 1/4" draw pipe sits mid-way down the mesh. I have both 1 & 1 1/2 HP pumps and get the same results.
After turning on the pump, the pressure gauge will approach 22 PSI, then all pressure & flow droped. I corrected this situation by sealing the top of the well/casing with good old duct tape My thoughts are that draw-down is now minimalized. Upon running it again, a broken sprinkler head bubbled water about 1", and the pump sounds like it's cavitating. I then took the pump off of the draw pipe, and piped it to a barrel full of water. I ran the pump, it jumped to 32 PSI, and the bubble from the sprinkler head was 6' tall.
My plan to solve my slow recovery issue is to drive down a well-point, and here is where I have some questions.
1. Do I insert a check valve between the point and the well pipe? Is a bronze one capable of handling the drive-in forces?
2. The well-point will be about 8' from the well. Is that far enough away?
3. Does it matter that both feed-lines will not be at equal distances from the pump? Currently the pump is next to the well.
4. Am I heading in the right direction by trying this?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ray,
i have a shop located right in Carver,ma. Your whole problem might evolve around the dutc taped joint. If there arent any threads on the well for a fitting you can get a water tight well head that will keep you from drawing air. If you are content on driving another point you do not want to be driving a check valve into the ground. You also dont want a mesh screen. I would go with a stainless steel slotted well screen for your new well.If you plan on drawing from both points,i would move atleast 10 feet so the new point doesn't have an influence on the old one. If you are not too sure about the condition of the material you are driving the point in,I would go with a 10 slot screen. You can get all this material from North East Water Well in Carver, MA. The guy that owns the place is from Quincy too and i buy all my material from him.

SAM

Yar02169

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Sam. I sent you a private message since you're located so close, maybe an appointment can be set up. This is a project that's 10 years in the making, and I want it working this year!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks