Mortar type?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Nate R, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Nate R

Nate R New Member

OK, going to install my tub very soon now. What kind of mortar should I use to form a mortar bed for the Fiberglass tub to sit in?
  2. Cookie

Cookie .

Use the Quickcrete pre-mixed mortar or sand mix.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some people prefer Structolite (sp?), it sets faster and is a little lighter. Probably costs more.
  4. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Actually, it costs less. By volume, anyways, if not by weight.
  5. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Didn't see the Structolite (sp?), so I used the Quickcrete pre-mixed mortar. Set a plastic bag between it and the tub to help facilitate removal if ever needed. Bag didn't indicate how long it will take to cure, only that it shouldn't freeze for 48 hours. I'm assuming I'll need to wait at least that long?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  6. jadnashua

You should be able to do anything you want to it the next day. Did you get enough under there to smush the tub down for good coverage?

Concrete products are spec'ed at their listed strength after 28-days, but it's hard after a few hours. It takes awhile to chemically change into it's full strength, but after a few hours, it's pretty tough.
  7. Nate R

Nate R New Member

We glopped on enough to be able to smush the tub down, yes. Measured the tub basin underside and drew out a line on the subfloor where it would contact. Then spread 1-1.5" or so of mortar around that area. Tub had some ribs on the underside that stuck out maybe 1/2"-3/4" so I think we had enough to fill the spaces between the ribs w/ no problem.

Placed a garbage bag over the mortar and gently set the tub on it. Got it level, and then my wife gently sat down in it. Made sure it was still level and then screwed it into the studs.
  8. jadnashua

Sounds good to me. Now, you mentioned pre-mixed. Hopefully, this was a powder that you mixed with water, and not something you bought in a bucket ready to use (aka mastic). If a bucket, it could take weeks to solidify as it needs to dry...it stays workable in a bucket because it doesn't get any air.
  9. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Oh, of course not a mastic. I've learned too much between here and John Bridge to use mastic in this situation, or ever in a wet situation.

Pre-Mixed in the sense that it was the right setup for Mason's mortar, I assume. (didn't need more sand or cement added, etc) Based off Cookie's response:
    It was a dry powder in a 60 lb paper bag, just like concrete.