Mortar type?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
OK, going to install my tub very soon now. What kind of mortar should I use to form a mortar bed for the Fiberglass tub to sit in?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people prefer Structolite (sp?), it sets faster and is a little lighter. Probably costs more.

Nate R

Reaction score
Didn't see the Structolite (sp?), so I used the Quickcrete pre-mixed mortar. Set a plastic bag between it and the tub to help facilitate removal if ever needed. Bag didn't indicate how long it will take to cure, only that it shouldn't freeze for 48 hours. I'm assuming I'll need to wait at least that long?

Tub1.JPG

Tub2.JPG

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You should be able to do anything you want to it the next day. Did you get enough under there to smush the tub down for good coverage?

Concrete products are spec'ed at their listed strength after 28-days, but it's hard after a few hours. It takes awhile to chemically change into it's full strength, but after a few hours, it's pretty tough.

Nate R

Reaction score
We glopped on enough to be able to smush the tub down, yes. Measured the tub basin underside and drew out a line on the subfloor where it would contact. Then spread 1-1.5" or so of mortar around that area. Tub had some ribs on the underside that stuck out maybe 1/2"-3/4" so I think we had enough to fill the spaces between the ribs w/ no problem.

Placed a garbage bag over the mortar and gently set the tub on it. Got it level, and then my wife gently sat down in it. Made sure it was still level and then screwed it into the studs.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Now, you mentioned pre-mixed. Hopefully, this was a powder that you mixed with water, and not something you bought in a bucket ready to use (aka mastic). If a bucket, it could take weeks to solidify as it needs to dry...it stays workable in a bucket because it doesn't get any air.

Nate R

Reaction score
Oh, of course not a mastic. I've learned too much between here and John Bridge to use mastic in this situation, or ever in a wet situation.

Pre-Mixed in the sense that it was the right setup for Mason's mortar, I assume. (didn't need more sand or cement added, etc) Based off Cookie's response:
Use the Quickcrete pre-mixed mortar or sand mix.

It was a dry powder in a 60 lb paper bag, just like concrete.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks