Mortar shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Osprey

Reaction score
Just found this sight, tons of great info. I am doing a bath remodel and was wondering if play sand is suitable for a mortar shower pan? I am doing a traditional (pre-slope, liner, top layer) pan. Thanks.... T

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
'Sharp' sand is better, but play sand will work. Ratio of about 5:1 sand:portland cement for the deckmud.

You might want to also check www.johnbridge.com/forums

Personally, I'd rather have a shower made with a surface membrane, but a conventional shower as you describe is also reliable (and probably less expensive) than a surface membrane, but it does have advantages - basically, it dries out MUCH faster, which may be a factor when used multiple times a day, or in an area with high humidity levels. You might also want to check out www.schluter.com and look at their Kerdi shower system. This is one of several competing systems, but is the 'original'.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
For the pre-slope anything will do just fine.

Mapei makes a 4-1 ready mix. There is loads of mortar mix bags available as well.

You should use a better quality product for the top layer.c Make sure it is no less than 1 1/4" but aim for about 2".

Latecrete 3701 is a great quality mortar for the final top side layer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks