Money Saving Shower Building Tips: How to save money when building your next shower

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
There are many ways to save money when building your shower and I thought I could group a few of the simple ones here. The first and foremost money saving tips is

"Don't Get Screwed when buying Screws"

Many times the box outlets will sell drywall, studs, shingles and the like at very attractive prices. But then they **** You when you buy the screws. Take a look at what the cost of just 100 3" Yellow Zinc Construction Screws cost at Home Depot in Burnaby.

Home+Depot+Price+on+100+three+inch+screws.jpg

$9.99 per hundred or roughly one pound

Home Depot Pricing on 3" Construction Screws:
Photo Source - Page - Date: Taken two days ago.

Now Home Depot boxes up these little babies nicely. Counts out 100 pieces for you so it's easy to count later. But if you have no clue what screws cost you might not know that you are paying 1.5 more for the same bundle. Across the street from Home Depot in Burnaby is Dicks Lumber. Both sell screws. I shop most times for basic construction materials at Dicks Lumber because this is the place where "Builders Buy". Dicks lumber tag line is "Where the Builder's Buy" and the price on basics must be why. Dicks Lumber sells 3" Yellow Zinc Construction screws for $3.99 per pound. You can purchase 250 screws for the same price that Home Depot sells 100.

Some might not be shocked by this but I find most people are in the dark. When I tell people (like home owners I work for) this they seam shocked. Then you can see them coating up in their heads how much money they have wasted putting the shower together, or the basement....

This picture taken two days back.

Dicks+Lumber+Vancouver+price+for+three+inch+screws.jpg

$3.99 per pound (roughly 100 screws 3" per pound): Photo Source - Page

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I have a couple more money saving tips for 2015. The month is almost over and these past three plus weeks I have only purchased about three coffees. Not 23.

20 x $ 2.05 = $41.00

factor in time

20 x 10 minutes = 200 minutes or $105.00

So this month in Coffee alone I have saved $146.00 less the extra container of coffee I used at $16.00

So I'm net $130.00 ahead.

SK2010BK_Enlargement.png

SK2010 Model
SK2010RD4CDN​

I kept having my thermos break when they where dropped. My wife bought me two of these kind in Red and they are still takening a beating and no hazards. I find the coffee stays hot all day long. If I'm brown nosing at work I'll make two Thermos and bring both in. I did that for a few weeks so I could give a couple cups a day away to the other crew. A thank you for letting me use their tools! Not sure where the cups went to my Thermos' ??? They should have been attached with a chain.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The other huge time saver for me these past six months is the spare truck key. I'm hopeless for miss placing my keys and now tie on to my person every morning. I use some parachute cord and make a simple loop. That gets looped through a belt buckle or button hole and I always have a key on me.

Now when I lock my keys in the truck or throw my jacket on it I do not waste 5-30 minutes hunting. I would say I have saved over three hours in six months because of this.

My wife - she puts her keys in the same place every day. Me - I'm not so organized. It is the peace of mind factor I like so much as well - never worry about where I placed the keys.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Marco Polo App

marcopoloappnowshoutatyourphonetolocateit1_1401712345.jpg

What a fun app. Have you ever sat your phone done and then covered it with drywall or tile. Just yell "Marco" and your phone yells back "Polo"

My daughter hide my phone three times tonight and I found it every time. It was buried and not visible all three times.

I know this will save me some time - and that should save me some money....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks