Moen 1225 cartridge disassembly

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by crosstalk, Jul 29, 2014.

1. crosstalk

crosstalk Member

I realize that taking the cartridge apart to replace/grease internal o-rings is a waste of time for a pro, but I am curious how this cartridge comes apart. I saw a prior mention on the forum of a special tool. It looks soldered at a few points, but maybe the stem is threaded on the internal brass shaft?
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. crosstalk

crosstalk Member

Nevermind--just realized the stem pushes out the bottom of the plastic housing.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I would consider it a waste of time for ANYBODY.
    SHR likes this.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Ja, especially since they have a lifetime warranty and Moen will send a free replacement.
    SHR likes this.
  5. crosstalk

crosstalk Member

Moen only sends a free replacement if you are the original purchaser of the faucet. And, yes, it is a waste of time to mess with it. I tried to re-grease it and put the old one back in--the inlet gasket got snagged and the cartridge was stuck worse than ever. I eventually yanked it out with the torn inlet gaskets but cranked too hard on the puller so the retaining clip slots in the body got bent a bit and had to be remediated a bit with a flat head screwdriver. New Moen cartridge has it working again.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Moen has never asked me for any kind of invoice or if I am the original owner. I tell them what I have and they send me a replacement.
  7. JerryR

JerryR Member

Moen logs owners via address. If previous owner of home ever called Moen their name will be associated with the address. They then will ask if your related to the previous owner. The correct answer is "YES".

A 1225 OEM Moen cartridge can be purchased locally for about $20. As inexpensive as they are it's not worth lying. Depending on your water quality sometimes it makes sense to replace them routinely. Here it seems they last 10 years before they get nasty.

Just make sure you buy Moen brand. Aftermarket brand have been reported to be less than reliable.

The Moen tool makes it much easier to replace them.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    SHR likes this.
  8. SHR

SHR Member

Just the last year they are asking my clients more and more questions and sending out very few parts. Delta is the opposite. They have sent out $100 re-build kits for free when my clients just want small parts for repair. Delta is making the Moen folks look really bad and I have stopped recommending Moen due to the lack of customer service they give my clients. It is a shame because they used to be so good.
  9. hj

I have stopped recommending Moen, although they used to be my #1 choice years ago, because their quality has deteriorated, mostly because of their reliance on more and more plastic in the past decades.
  10. hj

quote; it's not worth lying.

They have a "lifetime" warranty, so what difference should it make who owns it now? I once had a customer who bought a house partly because it had a Sears "lifetime" water heater. When it started to leak they called Sears, but since Sears records the name and address when it is purchased, they told the customer that the warranty expired when the house was sold. Ever getting a replacement under warranty is a "project" because they have to verify ownership of the property and then send a technician out to authorize the replacement, before anything can be done to fix the customer's problem.