Mixit bath

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by work, Jan 8, 2009.

1. work

work New Member

Hello everybody,

I have a leaking mixit bath valve that broke its circle handle off. The only replacement trim kit at Home Depot doesn't fit the mixit stem. Home Depot does have entire valve replacements for mixit but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the old mixit valve assembly. Any help?

The valve looks similar to this:

https://www.plumbersstock.com/product/180202/danco-28499-5-1-2in-trim-kit-for-mixet/

Also must I use a mixit replacement valve or could I use another brand?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You can NOT use any other type. MIXET is long out of business, so the only thing you can get is parts. Why doesn't that Danco handle you bought fit your stem? Maybe the stem is damaged and needs to be replaced. If you turn off the main water, remove both handles, then the large chrome sleeve unscrews to release the cartridge. There are about 3 or 4 versions, so you will have to take it to the store with you. Most places, including HD, carry Mixet stems.
  3. work

work New Member

If I replace the stem do you think this will fix the dripping leak too? Thank you Jimbo
  4. work

work New Member

Oh the replacement doesn't fit the old stem because believe it or not the new handle's hole is too small for the old stem.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Mixet

You probably have the old stem with a round thread on the end. the new stem will fit the handle properly. If your handle can rotate 360 degrees you can just pull the stem out. But if it can only rotate half way, there is a small clip hidden in the cap threads on the right side that has to be removed or you will damage the valve. There are also two different Mixet stems, a short one and a long one. The long one has an "adapter" that may be damaged during the disassembly so that it also might need replacement. To make matters worse, there are also two different adapters so you would need to take the old one with you to be sure the threads are the same.