Mixet Valve Nightmare

Users who are viewing this thread

John Stalford

Reaction score
I have an apartment building with lack of hot water problems only in the showers. First plumber tried to fix problem (TONS of $), but did not know about Mixet issue (they did replace some mixet cartridges, but problem was never solved). 2nd plumber said that with such a problem, it's common knowledge that you FIRST look at the valves to see if they're mixets, because that product is notorious for causing my problem. Sure enough, he replaced the valves with Moen and my problem is GONE.

I need info/sources to confirm that it is widely known among plumbers working on apartment buildings that Mixets cause my kind of problem and that you start there in diagnosing the cause.

My thanks to anyone who can help me out!!!

John

mixet_valve_trim.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You didn't mention WHAT your problem is, but if it is crossover of hot to cold, assuming you have a pumped recirculating system, yes it can happen in any valve, but Mixet is know to be a problem. The problem is, that the internal valve body wears in a certain way the putting in a new cartridge will stop any drips, but not fix the crossover. If you google "NoMix" you will find an aftermarket company who makes a replacement cartridge which supposedly solves the problem. They are very expensive, but a lot less work than replacing the valve.

Considering that as each year goes by, parts, and especially trim, gets a little more scarce for Mixet, then at some point you will want to replace the valves. But if you want a few more years out of it, try the NoMix.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are you sitting down for this????

Moen is also a valve where Hot/Cold Crossovers are possible!:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks