Mixed bed softener setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Cjorg

Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post, reading and learning a lot. Thanks to everyone for the informative info.
I have a 40,000 grain mixed bed (Anion) Fleck 5600 metered system that I'm rebuilding the valve, it came with my house, 4 people in the household. I live in Las Vegas, 18 grains of hardness and no iron. I'm wondering what the true capacity of this system is and if mixed bed is even necessary. Should I dump and replace resin or just run it. System is 8 years old.
Water report https://www.lvvwd.com/assets/pdf/wq_summary_lvvwd.pdf
Thanks

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you on city water? If not, what is the purpose of the mixed bed? There are only 2 things that I of know of that a residential customer would need anion resin for, tannin and nitrates. I should have looked at the water report to tell you are on city water. I didn't see anything that I thought would need anion resin. But maybe they know something I don't.

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a Hach 5-B softness test, and measure if the softener is giving 1 grain or less of hardness. If so, keep the resin.

If you change resin, I would go to a 10% crosslinked regular cation resin unless you have a reason to do otherwise.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Anion resins are commonly used for tannins, nitrates, sulfates, pH control (dealkalizing), uranium and much more in well water applications. This is not commonly done on municipal supplies.
If you are rebidding, I would probably just go with a cation resin only. Many of the mixed bed systems are done for marketing purposes rather than functional.

Cjorg

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the fast replies. I was thinking the same thing about the anion resin, it was a way to get more money out of the customer as its not needed in Las Vegas city water. Good idea about checking softness for a while and monitor how long it stays soft. Seems that it should stay soft for 5-6 days before starting to get hard.

Cjorg

Reaction score
Forgot to ask, if I replace resin, is there a certain brand that I should look for. And what is the difference between 8% and 10% crosslinked?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
10% is a stronger resin that is ideal for use in chlorinated water supplies. 8% is slightly less expensive and is acceptable in very low level chlorinated water supplies with low water use. As to the manufacturer, be sure it is purchased from a reputable company. I know of several companies in Vegas that stock high quality 10% resin. Let me know if you want a recommendation.

Cjorg

Reaction score
Dittohead, thanks for the help. Yes please send me the companies that stock the resin here in Vegas.

Holan

Reaction score
10% is a stronger resin that is ideal for use in chlorinated water supplies. 8% is slightly less expensive and is acceptable in very low level chlorinated water supplies with low water use. As to the manufacturer, be sure it is purchased from a reputable company. I know of several companies in Vegas that stock high quality 10% resin. Let me know if you want a recommendation.

I would like to know your recommendations in Vegas. Looking for the highest quality 10% Resin. Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks