missing bath/shower tub vent NEW install

Users who are viewing this thread

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
The bath is slow to drain so I would like to add a vent: if that seems to be what you think may be causing it; also, the bath seems to get clogged up every so often due to hair (3 females taking showers etc/ hair yadda yadda). So I would like to increase the waste to the shower/bath tub to 2" from 1.5" - I believe a shower is supposed to be 2" anyway? - that said:

Grey Pipe 4" MAIN STACK
Blue Pipe 3" - the one running parallel to the main stack serves a toilet above this bathroom.
Green Pipe is 2"
Pink Pipe is 1.5

The existing toilet position is exactly where it is now - the middle pink pipe in the image is the waste from a single sink/vanity and the green pipe going off to the right of the image goes to the bath tub (used also for showers).

Would this setup work? the vertical pink vent would tie back into the main stack above 42" min

Thanks as always NP

Attachments

• plumbing bathroo&#10.jpg
    plumbing bathroo&#10.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,147

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Can't see what is going on out of the picture, but slow drains are not caused by venting problems. Plumbing fixtures are self venting. The system vent prevents the traps from siphoning dry. Your slow drain is caused by a clog. The hair is your problem. Try one of these: http://zipitclean.com/2009/08/zip-it-drain-tool-you-wont-believe-it/

This DIY you--tube production is NOT an exaggeration. I use these and you often get just what he shows in that video. And I will give you even money that the guy had previoulsly put a couple gallons of drano through over a period of time, with almost no effect on that loch ness monster!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lack of vents only cause a slow drainage when there are other problems, and in that case adding a vent only eliminates the symptoms and does not cure the real problem. Without a vent, sinks and showers may drain BETTER, the fact that they could drain "too good" is why they need vents. You do NOT have a vent problem according to your drawing, but you DO have a partially plugged drain line. A 2" drain will minimize the frequency of stoppage, but will NOT let the tub drain faster than it does now.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
OK - So Jimbo, Thanks for the link - that was gross.....and I managed to pull something similiar out once I cut the waste open (With my hands cos im HaRd-Cor3 - and stupid). I also think it was a combo 'HJ', The pipe seems to go uphill, which makes no sense - anyhows, I cut and re-sloped the pipe based on the drawing above - since no one said anything I kept everything the same. I'm just waiting for the solvent to cure and I will turn on the water tomorrow hopefully.

Lockness monster 0 NP 1

Peace and thanks Jimbo and HJ - big help as always

NP

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks